Ranger Grow-Out Journals

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by TimG, Mar 31, 2010.

1. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    I have 24 Freedom Rangers from JM Hatchery. I'm going to post their average, hi and lo weights each week (just by editing a single post, not by adding another post every time). I might also include some information about how much feed I have used and maybe some other costs. Sort of a mini-grow-out journal all in one post.

I hope others will do the same and that this thread can be used for data only to keep this uncluttered. Then we'll have a thread full of mini-grow-out journals and will be able to compare feed conversion ratios, costs of meat and whatnot. I think it would be nice if analysis, questions and discussion was left for another thread, though commentary in individual data posts is welcome.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Tim

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  2. TimG

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Number of chicks: 24
    Hatch Date: 24 March 2010
    Cost of chicks: $21.70

Lost chick: 01 April, found one dead.
    Lost chick: 20 May, found one dead.

Bedding: Through three weeks, one bundle of shavings has been used. (Plus some newspaper.)

Feed being used: Poulin Grain Chick Starter (20% protein) -- currently $11.95 per 50# bag.
    Feed consumed: After two weeks, they have eaten under 22 pounds of feed. There are now about 13 pounds worth of chicks.
    Feed consumed: After three weeks, they have eaten about 44 pounds of feed. There are now 24 pounds worth of chicks.
    Feed consumed: After four weeks, they have eaten about 72 pounds of feed. There are now 37 pounds worth of chicks.
    Feed consumed: After five weeks, they have eaten about 117 pounds of feed. There are now 56 pounds worth of chicks.
    Feed consumed: After six weeks (and one day), they have eaten about 171 pounds of feed. There are now 79 pounds worth of chicks.
    Feed consumed: After seven weeks (and two days), they have eaten nearly 250 pounds of feed. There are now 98 pounds worth of chicks.
    Feed consumed: After 8 weeks (+2 days), they have eaten 323 pounds of feed. There are now 116 (+6) pounds worth of chickens.
    Feed consumed: After 9 weeks (+2 days), they have eaten 450 pounds of feed. There are now 130 (+6) pounds worth of chickens.

Feed conversion: overall, one pound of growth has required just a bit over 3.3 pounds of feed.

Weight on 31 March 2010 (lo/hi/ave): 2.5/3.9/3.325 ounces
    Weight on 07 April 2010 (lo/hi/ave): 6.0/10.2/9.11 ounces
    Weight on 14 April 2010 (lo/hi/ave): 10/18/16.74 ounces
    Weight on 21 April 2010 (lo/hi/ave): 14/29/26 ounces
    Weight on 28 April 2010 (lo/hi/ave): 19/45/39 ounces
    Weight on 06 May 2010 (lo/hi/ave): 26/64/55 ounces
    Weight on 14 May 2010 (lo/hi/ave): 60/82/70 ounces *
    Weight on 21 May 2010 (lo/hi/ave): 75/104/86 ounces **
    Weight on 28 May 2010 (lo/hi/ave): 82/119/98 ounces ***

Housing: The chicks were inside through about 2 1/2 weeks, then they went into the barn. In the barn, they don't have a heat source despite it dropping into the 30s or 40s at night. They do have a light source round the clock.

At six weeks, the chicks were moved outside to a run of their own. (As I write this, they are spending their first night in the run.)

* Removed the smallest from the figures.

** Runt is now 37 oz, still doing well, and still excluded from figures. Average male: 5 lb 15 oz; average female: 5 lb 1 oz.

*** Runt is now 42 oz, still doing well, and still excluded from figures. Average male: 6 lb 13 oz; average female: 5 lbs 11 oz.

I started noticing a few larger, redder combs at about 5 weeks. I haven't tried, but think I could get a pretty accurate male/female count at six weeks. Next week, I'll try to separate them before I weigh them and see what the difference is.

During their 9th week, growth seems to have slowed, more so in the females than the males. There was a hot few days during the week which may be part of the cause. They still ate! There is a pile of feed on the ground surrounding the feeder, but not big enough to account for the much worse feed conversion ratio this week.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  3. TimG

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Added weights from 3rd week along with note on feed consumed to date.

Bumping with this post, but will ask that it be deleted at some point.

I hope some others will be inclined to add their data.

4. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Is that underperformer injured or not like the others in some way? Thanks for posting the data.

5. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Thanks for sharing. I'm watching this. We're getting some in mid-Summer after our Cornish X finish. This will give a good idea what to expect.

6. TimG

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:No, the under performer seems healthy and is active, just a mini version of the others.

I should have mentioned (and will add it now), that they were inside for a little over two weeks, but have been in the barn for a few days now. They have no heat source despite it dropping into the 30s and 40s at night. I do leave a light on at night so they can see their way to the food.

I'm convinced the old rule of 95 degrees for the first week and 5 degrees cooler each week after that is a terribly over-cautious rule. These chicks haven't felt 80 degrees in a couple weeks.

7. mike67909

mike67909 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    Pinckney, Michigan
    I just moved mine outside yesterday. They are 3 weeks old. I had a lamp for them at night. It got down to 48 F here I will keep the light on them at night for about a week or so depending on the temperature lows. I think that 5 degree rule is mainly for standard breeds not the broiler strains.

Thanks for the information though. I unfortunatly won't have any weights to compare till I harvest the birds. I am feeding a chick starter 21% protein.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  8. hensonly

hensonly Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    upstate NY
    This is a great thread for me,as I have 30 Rangers coming two weeks from today. I'll keep an eye on this space and add any info from mine that isn't represented already. Thanks!

9. petrelline

petrelline Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Los Gatos, CA
    Mine are coming in May 19th! I'm looking forward to contributing to this topic.

10. TimG

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    I added week four weights and a note that between weeks 2 and 4 one pound of growth has required just over 2 pounds of feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by