1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Rangers not ranging much?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by sovia, Aug 4, 2010.

1. sovia

sovia Songster

Mar 4, 2008
    Black Hills of SD
    I received 26 colored rangers from JM Hatchery in early June. They are healthy and thriving, but I am somewhat disappointed that they don't range more than they do.

I kept the chicks in the brooder for about three weeks, then moved them to a portable chicken coop for another week. After one week in the coop, I began opening it up during the day to allow them to free -range while enclosed by an electric fence. They have a huge area to roam in. BTW, the opening of the coop is huge - the entire back end of the coop (maybe 6 feet) opens and becomes a ramp.

The problem is that they would rather hang out inside the coop all day than go outside. I even put an open-bottomed chicken tractor nearby for shade/protection that they could go into at will, but they hardly ever do. I thought these chickens were supposed to be more active.

Any thoughts?

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I would put the feed and water out in the yard and move it a bit further each day.

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:[​IMG] Ive gotten the point with my lazy girls that I feed at night heavily then make them free-range all day for food-they do sucker me in for a bit of food from time to time but when their crops are fat at roosting time-I dont feel bad!

4. mike67909

mike67909 Chirping

Dec 22, 2009
    Pinckney, Michigan
    They are young still, give them time and they will.

5. Mrs. Mucket

Mrs. Mucket Songster

May 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Our Rangers ranged a lot in cooler weather but have been inside in the shade more during hot weather. Could that be a factor? Yours may be going out early or late in the day when it's cooler.

6. Quote:I would also..
    Joel Salatin is doing them and he is so far having success ( I think )

7. anthonyjames

anthonyjames Songster

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    What is the weather like there? It has been hot and humid here. My birds come out before sunrise and about an hour before sundown to range. Other then that they stay in the shade by the water and don't eat that much or anything. Just trying to stay cool.

8. scubaforlife

scubaforlife Songster

Jul 13, 2009
    Chickens will be a little shocked by new surroundings. They will go outside a bit, then back in, then a bit further.....eventually you will have to make them go back in.

Putting the food out is a good idea to make them want to see what is about.

9. Quote:You're right! I forgot about that [​IMG] Yes, if it is hot that is normal and I wouldn't move the water.

10. Mervin

Mervin Songster

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Right now, at the height of summer, DP chickens are acting like that. At least mine are. I was worried when my young DPs "slowed" down a few weeks back, but they're just keeping cool. In the evening they're pretty feisty and like to range when we're around to let them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by