Ranging Domestic Ducks on Marsh

Hukkelberry

In the Brooder
Oct 16, 2021
Hi, I have a small (9) flock of ducks and a ~5 acre pond/marsh behind my house. Obviously I can't fence an area that big from predators. Luckily where I live the biggest predators are dogs, raccoons, and eagles or hawks. We also have minks.

I'm wondering if it would be a terrible idea to let the ducks out onto that pond and let them forage in the day. I can still lock them in. Can ducks be reliably called back to a coop or will some of them straggle and go native?

Interested to see what you guys think

1643782033191.png

Marsh in the summer

the biggest predators are dogs, raccoons, and eagles or hawks. We also have minks.
With that assortment of predators,,, :hugs ,,,,,,,,, don't chance them free-ranging. Minks which are nice looking fur animals,,,,, are vicious killers:mad: They are also water capable. Raccoons are night time opportunist predators. Eagles,,, well they have big appetites,, especially when feeding their young.
Dogs,,, well most of the bad ones kill only for sake of killing. They don't generally eat their kills,,,,, except wild/feral hungry homeless ones.

Consider fencing off just a portion of the marsh, and dry land with whatever fencing you can use. This way you would be able to herd them to safety,, if needed. The ducks do not need large water area to be happy. You will be happy to utilize the ponds large water volume,,, since it will not get soiled,,, compared to a small pool in back yard.
If the mink do live in your marsh..... abandon my idea what I just suggested.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

I agree with @cavemanrich about the dangers of predators, especially mink. I live in an area where there are eagles, hawks, owls, raccoons, opossums, coyotes, occasional dumped dogs and mink. The only birds I've ever lost to predators were killed by a mink.

Mink can get through very small openings, love to return to the scene of the kill, are extremely fast and kill without eating their prey. MAYBE I could have understood if the kills were because the vermin was hungry.

My runner ducks (along with my chickens and geese) are not cooped during the day, but have an area bordered by fences, with plenty of trees for cover and all within both my view and the view of my very yappy house dog. She still barks furiously at the barn cat whose comings and goings don't bother the poultry at all. No critter crosses the poultry area unnoticed.

In my opinion, the ducks will be perfectly okay with a kiddie pool or small stock tank and much safer.

Back
Top Bottom