Ranging turkeys

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by extraordinaryfowl, Nov 20, 2011.

1. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    How far will turkeys (assuming they are a heritage breed) roam?

2. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    From what I hear and read they aren't supposed to go verry far. Espesially bourbon reds, standard bronze and narragansett to name a few that I have heard about in particular.

3. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    Depends on what is available to eat. They generally will stay close to the feed. They will roam around the property but as long as you feed and water everyday it will provide a good incentive for them to stay close.

4. extraordinaryfowl

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    What about roosting in trees? Do they favor roosting in trees so much that it might be hard to get them in at night?

5. extraordinaryfowl

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    What about roosting in trees? Do they favor roosting in trees so much that it might be hard to get them in at night?

6. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    Quote:could be a challenge once they start roosting in the trees you will have to gather them up before they head to the trees in the afternoon and coop them up. I just let mine stay in the trees, when it gets real bad they come down and go in the chicken coop to get out of the rain.

7. Farmerboy16

Farmerboy16 Rebuilding my Farm

Dec 30, 2010
    Sparta, MI
    My Bourbon Red turkeys never ranged more than about 300 to 500 feet from their coop. At first they would roost in the trees, and I had to move them one by one each night to their coop, finality I made a roost, and pen them for a week or so, to get use to the roost. After that they use the roost all the time. This time, hopefully I will have turkeys again, I am building a new coop, and will put the roost 5 or 6 feet off the ground, instead 3 feet off the floor in the old coop.

8. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm APA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Monticello, Arkansas
    As poults and young birds you must train them to go back inside the coop. We are building a movable coop that will be over 6' tall. That should be tall enough for them to have roost up high.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by