Rant about school

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by annie3001, Oct 26, 2011.

1. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    Hello.
    Just feeling pretty sad this morning. My son had came home from school and said he was crying.[​IMG] I asked him what happened. He told me that he was just upset. [​IMG]I was just so upset I gave the teacher a phone call. His teacher told me she thought he was just really tired. Perhaps it's just such a long day. Huh? She also said my son needs to work thru whatever is going on and he was fine later on. I received no phone call re: my son crying and wanting to come home. [​IMG]
    Later in the evening I pressed on a bit to our son, trying to find out why he was crying he did tell me. Another student from another class hit him on the arm. He described the student and which room his class is in.[​IMG] But of course by this time its late and I just send a email to his teacher explaining what my son told me. The thing that upsets me the most, the fact he was crying and I was not called at all. :confused:We are talking about my son being in first grade.
    Now recently I have been homeschooling our daughter. Makes me want to pull my son out of a public school and do the same for him. He is attending public school because he needed some extra assistance etc. Well he is fine now. The town that I live in has a very excellent school track record. Just to give you a picture, our house (a renovated always work in progress) sits smack near million dollar homes. [​IMG] I am not kidding. This town is super-snotty. We are not. [​IMG] Our school system is very good, but what happened here? [​IMG]
    I hope to get a email response soon from his teacher re: this matter. I dunno.

2. greeneggsandham

greeneggsandham Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Putnam,CT
    I'm sorry your son had a crummy day at school. Did he say if he told the teacher that another kid hit him? If so I would be speaking with the principal to see if it was reported to him/her.

3. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

Yes, make sure the teacher knows he was being bullied. Sorry he had such a bad day.

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I think homeschooling is a great idea but not because of your son crying and you not being called. I just think it's good idea in general [​IMG] . I imagine that quite a few kids have a day here and there where they cry some and want to go home. I wouldn't expect a teacher to call me for that reason unless the child was completely inconsolable for more than 10 mins. If someone hit him and he didn't say anything at the time, I'm not sure there is much the teacher can do. I would talk to him about speaking up when something like that happens so that the teacher is able to respond appropriately.

5. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    I finally heard back from my son's teacher, she was just as upset and said she was going to talk with the other teacher. (that student was in).
    I would love still homeschool him just as I do my son. He needed extra help, that the some special ed teachers gave him. Now he is thriving. Anyways, I feel better after speaking to my son's teacher, and we have talked to our son about speaking up. Luckily he did tell me. [​IMG]

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:This is exactly the kind of response you want a teacher to give. Far too many kids don't tell the teacher when something happens to upset them. It does sound like the situation will be dealt with properly.

I do agree that a call home is not warranted unless there is a documented injury or seriously upset child. And it doesn't sound like your son displayed "seriously upset" at school.

When a child (heck, anyone) does not get sufficient rest, they can become overly emotional. Lots of kids do not get sufficient rest, either from going to bed too late (or getting up too early), from a growth spurt that requires extra rest, from coming down with some illness, or other causes. Sounds like the teacher picked up that something was not quite right, but did not have sufficient facts to make an accurate diagnosis of the problem, but made her best guess.

7. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    Quote:This is exactly the kind of response you want a teacher to give. Far too many kids don't tell the teacher when something happens to upset them. It does sound like the situation will be dealt with properly.

I do agree that a call home is not warranted unless there is a documented injury or seriously upset child. And it doesn't sound like your son displayed "seriously upset" at school.

When a child (heck, anyone) does not get sufficient rest, they can become overly emotional. Lots of kids do not get sufficient rest, either from going to bed too late (or getting up too early), from a growth spurt that requires extra rest, from coming down with some illness, or other causes. Sounds like the teacher picked up that something was not quite right, but did not have sufficient facts to make an accurate diagnosis of the problem, but made her best guess.

thank you for your reply. [​IMG]

8. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    Quote:i am scared eenie of the my kid being bullied. he had a much better day today. [​IMG]

9. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like things are being taken care of. And nice that you got a good responce from teacher.

Is there someone else at the school he may be closer too? His Kinder Garden teacher, a priceipal?
    The reason I"m asking is cause my DD got hurt at school and didn't tell anyone.. Then told me, I talked with one of her teachers, as this was like the second time in 2 weeks being hurt by a grade 1,2, or 3.... She's a kinder..

Anyways, It happened when she was in a differnet teachers class for the day.. But her main teacher got right down to her level and said.. Even if you don't want to tell so and so. you can come to my class room anytime and you tell me.. We don't want anyone hurting you honey.. So this teacher is really special to my DD and I think she would leave her class, to go see this other teacher. Just because..

so anyone your son has taken a liking too?

10. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    Quote:Hi meatking,
    he likes his speech teacher, talks about her alot. however because he never even told her, thats troubling. but on a good note, he told me, and for thats the most important. i even got more details later in that night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by