Rant! Feeling like a chicken failure!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by melloladies, Feb 23, 2011.

1. melloladies

melloladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Merritt Island
    [​IMG] Okay- so I've got 5 birds. One is 8 months- no eggs. One is on an egg laying hiatus for no apparent reason. One lays the tiniest little egg ever and makes the BIGGEST stink about it. One lays an nice sized egg that has a blood spot every. single. time. And she's developed a wheeze...i think something is stuck in her throat...
    AND NOW MY BEST LAYER IS BROODY!!!!!!! [​IMG]

I sure do love them, but today is not one of my better chicken keeping days. Makes me want to start over.

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Unless you have any particular attachment to them, you could start over and make them all stew.

3. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    omg, sorry your going thru this. but just dont give up on your current girls. get yourself together and relax, and get more chicks, thats what owning these feathered beauties are all about.... more more more more more.. till you just run out of space.
    [​IMG]

4. melloladies

Apr 28, 2010
    Merritt Island
    HaHa- Annie, I like your way of thinking. I am attatched to them. I would love to just shove some eggs under Gesine and watch her be a momma...but I'm illegal as it is! [​IMG] Also...no eggs that are fertile, just decoys [​IMG]
    I am attatched to them though- stew is not really an option.

5. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Quote:Having one that doesn't lay, one that stopped laying, one laying a tiny egg, one with blood spots in laid eggs, and one layer gone broody does not make you a failure. The one that has not laid is probably a late layer. Having a broody hen, although scary [​IMG] , isn't really a bad thing. Having her go broody means you have provided her with all the things she feels she needs to raise a family. It should all work out. Good luck [​IMG]

6. melloladies

Apr 28, 2010
    Merritt Island
    Awe- thanks Pinky- you actually made me feel better about the broody girl. We'll see what the world is like in the morning.

7. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Don't feel bad. The days are getting longer and production will pick up.

I just ranted this morning about my cochins not laying and lo and behold, when I came home I found a cochin egg.

8. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Ask around for fertilized eggs. I got three dozen last year. Stick them under the broody, and you are back in business.

9. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Yep, the days are getting longer...then you'll really be run over with eggs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by