1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rant...I am so sick of irresponsible pet owners!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by mommyofthree, Nov 8, 2010.

1. mommyofthree

mommyofthree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    This is a loong story so I'll try to keep it short. My neighbor had an outdoor cat a couple of years ago that had 5-6 kittens. She kept all of the kittens and mama, I offered to get them spayed/neutered at no cost or inconvenience to her and she said no. [​IMG] She moved out and left the cats behind and her brother moved in.....their parents own the house and let the kids (both early 20's) live there. Well the brother stopped feeding the cats shortly after he moved in, his excuse when I asked him was that he "didn't want to feed everyone else's cats too". But it's okay for us to feed his cats apparently. [​IMG] So the cats disappeared for the winter to find food and in the Spring were all showing up with babies. I caught 7 cats and 8 kittens and got them all fixed and found good homes for most of them, I kept 4.

Last month this same neighbor took in 2 cats for his ex who couldn't keep them, they put the cats outside and I immediately caught them and got them fixed so at least we wouldn't have to deal with more kittens. Well after a week or so he stopped feeding these cats too. I found that out when one was choking trying to eat my chicken feed because it was so hungry, then when I gave it cat food it tried to attack one of my big hens for going by it just because it wanted to protect the food it had.

Talking to the neighbor would be pointless, if he started feeding the cats again it wouldn't last long. And talking to his parents wouldn't do any good either, they're the main ones that didn't want the cats fixed in the first place. I've been feeding these two new cats for 2 weeks and he has seen me feeding them at my house, and he still did not feed them. So I contacted a woman I know who runs a no kill rescue and I brought her the cats today. I don't know what else I could have done. They were being seriously neglected and I can't take on even more cats. I already had 2 of my own and basically adopted 4 of his last cats. If someone is not feeding their pet is that considered neglect?? Would they still have rights to the animal? I don't want to get in trouble for just taking these cats, but I seriously doubt this guy will care anyway. His ex might though if she comes back for the cats and they are not here. BTW, this guy is abusive and neglectful toward all animals. His last dog had scars on it's face and I'm pretty sure it was rarely fed. It got loose once and I found it savagely eating one of my chickens. It didn't kill it for fun, it was obviously starving. Luckily he rehomed that poor dog.

We also had another random kitten apparently dropped off at the road last week. I got her in to the vet ASAP when I found her. She had a bad UTI (maybe she was peeing outside of her litterbox and that's why she was dumped?) so I got her meds, got her spayed, dewormed, vaccinated, and treated for fleas and ear mites. Then we rehomed her. I am just sooo sick of irresponsible pet owners!!! [​IMG]

2. Catstar68

Catstar68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Franklinton, NC
    [​IMG]
    I'm with ya, girlfriend!
    I have 3 strays this Fall that I took in and rehomed. People are so irresponsible.
    Perhaps a call in to animal control and a visit from a humane society officer are in order. This sounds like a problem that isn't going away.
    I'd personally start making those kitties 'disappear' and finding a better situation for them. But I'm like that [​IMG]

You're awesome for the helping these kitties. [​IMG] The world needs more compassionate people willing to make it their business to stop animal neglect.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I try not to read things like this because I end up feeling so [​IMG] and so [​IMG] Animals, even the ones traditionally considered pets, are just objects to many people, and objects are disposable. It's heartbreaking. Thanks for taking so much upon yourself to make a difference in the lives of animals [​IMG]

4. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    :heYou're like the cat guradian angel. Personally, I would have done the same thing. Maybe you should have called Animal Control instead, but if you know FOR SURE that the guy is abusive toward animals and is not feeding the cats, I say do the decent thing before they starve. The ex should have know that he would not care for them. If you do have any way of reaching her you might let her know where the cats are and why.

I was just over at a house I rent out (used to live in), and the tennant was dealing with a very similar situation. Apparently the woman doesn't "believe" in fixing cats - just thinks they should be allowed to roam free, procreate endlessly, and mostly fend for themselves!!!

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

mommyofthree,

You are not alone. All my current 6 cats are abandoned by neighbors, as were several in the past. Take solace in knowing that you are the better person, and the cats are well taken care of.

Imp

6. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Here it is considered 'harboring' when you feed a stray and therefore it legally is yours. Bless your heart for caring for the creatures your jerk of a neighbor abuses. [​IMG]

7. mommyofthree

May 18, 2010
    Quote:That's good to know, I wonder if that harboring law applies here!

It's always good to hear from other people who care about animals as much as I do. [​IMG]

From now on any new kitties will be "disappearing" to a better place. [​IMG] The only thing I'm worried about is my loudmouth toddlers telling where the cats went, lol. It's hard to keep it from them when they go with me.

I've thought about calling animal control, but with the way our neighbor is we really try to keep everything neutral and not stir up problems. And if they would have taken the cats I would have felt terrible since our adoption rates at the local shelter are so low. I'm very happy with where they are now, they have a good chance at finding a great home and if not they get to live at a really awesome rescue where they will be spoiled.

8. mommyofthree

May 18, 2010
    Quote:UGH, I hate it when people want their cats to have babies over and over!!! [​IMG]

BTW, my mom calls me the cat guardian angel too. [​IMG] One cat we took in this summer had 3 kittens. Just a couple of days after we found them the mama couldn't stand or even move without falling over and flailing wildly. Here eyes were darting back and forth and her head was bobbing, she didn't eat or drink for 4 days. I had to separate her from the kittens, luckily they were already 7-8 weeks old. I was a stressed out mess caring for this poor cat and taming her feral kittens!! I thought for sure she was going to die, after lots of tests the vet figured out that it was just a double ear infection...the worst he'd ever seen. She has permanent damage from it and it still a bit tipsy but she's so much better and has doubled her weight. She can't live outside the way she is, so she's our indoor cat now along with a kitten from another litter we found a couple weeks later. Here are my latest (former stray) family additions. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Skittlez

Skittlez Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    Rockford
    I feel for you! I am dealing with this kind of neighbor too, only with dogs. They moved in with 3 dogs. 2 poodles and a rotty. The rottie had worms so bad it was a bag of bones and died at around 10 months old. The poodles went to animal control. The neighbors brought one back home and left the other. None were neutered. The poodle comes to my house everyday to pee on every corner he can find. It drives my dogs nuts. Mine are all fixed. The neighbor brought home a female poodle. Now they have 4 babies. Then they brought home 2 5 week old shepards. One male, one female. They want to breed them too and they are brother/sister. The husband wants to get rid of the female, the wife wants to get rid of the male. Meanwhile they live outside 24/7 even in the winter. The shepards don't come over yet, but I know they will start soon. I watched the female poodle dodge cars in the road the other day and sent her back home, but no one was home to let her in. They locked her out a few weeks ago and I heard her babies crying for over two hours. I took the momma home and pushed her through the open bathroom window so she could be with her babies. They want to breed, but no shots, no worming, and no proper food or shelter. Animal control comes, but so far nothing done yet. So, I feel your pain! I am ready to put a rehoming neighbor add up on craigslist.

10. duck walk

duck walk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    bless you for taking care of them all...one of my new kittens is the same color as the dark one in your photo...my sister named her Marbles and her grey sister she named Taxi...they are both girls and headed for spaying as soon as they are old enough...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by