Rant!!!! If you're gonna give your horse away.......

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by scbatz33, Sep 3, 2009.

1. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    DO NOT LIE to the people you are giving it to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Oh, she's a quiet horse, we ride her fairly regularly and she's so calm. We had her teeth done in January. She has bad feet but if you keep shoes on her she's fine. She does really well on this feed. It's not real expensive but she likes it."

Yeah???? She has horrible feet and throws her shoes every 3 weeks - she now has no foot left to nail to. My farrier is at his wits end and is calling in an other for ideas.

She is not a quiet ride. She will rear and throw a total fit every time you take her away from other horses. Don't even try to trailer her!

Her teeth haven't been done in years! Poor thing was in such discomfort. My vet was shocked at how pointed and long her teeth were. She spent litterally three hours here today and she will need a check up in 3 months!!!!

Likes the feed huh? Does well on the feed? We've been working on putting wieght on this poor thing for months now. Between the crap they were feeding her and her teeth it's a wonder she wasn't in worse condition. My vet says she still could use another 50 or so pounds!

If you can't afford to take care of a horse, don't have one!!!!!

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    omg -im so sorry! You know what though--she's with good people now and hopefully she will chillout soon knowing she is in good hands.

3. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I guess you get what you pay for [​IMG] Obviously, they couldn't afford her, so they gave her away.

4. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
    It's kinda like a used car. Have your mechanic (vet) check it out first...
    We have had horses for more than 30 years and never not had to pay for one.

5. scbatz33

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Actually, they gave her away because they wanted to buy a pony for their 3 year old. The horse was too big for the child and "doesn't like little people".

They also have a second horse.

I think she knew if she sold the horse with all the issues and not disclosing them it would come back and bite her - big time!

6. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    People are cruel [​IMG] Poor horse what is her name? Pictures?

7. scbatz33

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    I'll have to get some recent photos of her........
    [​IMG]
    This was taken a couple months ago. My DH was riding her up until the end of June. She just couldn't keep her shoes on adn then his saddle had to be repaired. She doesn't look awful, but her top line is too bony, IMO. I know horse weight can be subjective, but the vet agrees with me so I don't feel I'm being overly critical. Now that her teeth are really corrected, I think she'll put the weight on better and hopefully we can cut back on the amount of feed she's been getting.

She is a nervous girl to begin with and to say she's not an easy keeper is an understatement, but we are feeding her over 10 pounds of grain products plus grass and hay DAILY! Not to mention the hoof supplements and the weight supplements and the oils.

I'm not new to horses and I've worked with some real difficult ones, but she takes the cake. We have been working through the process of elimination to find out what is wrong and in what areas. It's just such a slow process! Chickens are way easier to change!!!

ETA - her name is Pumpkin Roll

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  8. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    I don't know much about horses. She's not the worst I have seen by far but I'm sure it would of gotten alot worse if she was left in those conditions. Thanks for being the hero and getting her out of there. [​IMG]

9. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    Quote:instead of trying to figure out is wrong with her,start from the beginning and do it the right way this time..someone hurried her along,didnt know what they where doing,didnt teach her how to behave the correct way..therefor she doesnt know how to behave..she looks like a nice horse,,just needs some time and experience put on her...as for the feet,stop putting shoes on her and start a barefoot trim..natural barefoot and someone that knows how to do it and she probably wont need shoes when your done..again, if its dont the right way..ill behaved horses are created for the most part,,and she was free,$500 worth of GOOD PROFESSIONAL TRAINING is a pretty cheap investment..

10. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

See if you can find a barefoot trimmer to look at her feet she might not need shoes at all.

With time and a new loving owner she should come around. Remember go slow, praise for a job well done.

The weight issues you are talking about are more than likely a result of her poor teeth.
    Have you tried Calf Manna??
    What about beet pulp?
    Do you buy your grain or mix your own?

They make glue on shoes I can not remember the name.

It is better to have a slightly under weight horse than a fat one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by