RANT~ in Denver CO. the homeless is overwhelming!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sonew123, Nov 11, 2009.

1. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Ok folks I came here for a convention for work. They pay for it all-Been here since Sunday-I have never been hit up by so many homeless people in all my life-From the airport we passed a corner that had to have had 40-50 people all camped out with sleeping bags -grocery carts-etc...I thought oh gosh I hope my hotel is far enough away from this-nope-2 miles away. Needless to say the hotel we are staying at is gorgeous and top notch but I just went downstairs to have a cigarette and wasn't even out the door when I was approached by a very thin kid/man teeth missing-very unkept saying he and his wife are stuck here...no money...hungry...etc... no wife in sight mind you because I asked where his "wife" was-He picked out some lady walking across the street saying there she is-This lady was not his wife and you could tell-she never came over-I gave him the only 3$ I had and said with my Dh next to me why are you here? Collect the miney and go home if you can-Id rather buy them food! All week everywhere we went we got stopped-one man asked us for 4 cents! So DH gave him a dollar-next guy asked DH for a dime gave him a dollar. A few hours later..a kid asked Dh for food $ and Dh gave him 10$ and told him to help someone else with part of that $. We went out to dinner last night-took a break and went outside to have a cigarette and had a guy screaming at us not to smoke at 8$ a pack we should be smoking weed! His friend bummed a cigarette from us and then it started people coming out of the wood works towards us-we bolted back inside this high end restaurant and complained about being harrassed going in and out of their business-he went outside and got them to move on. I have pity and sympathy we even had long conversations with some of them to see if we could help them in any way besides $ because if work wasnt paying for my trip I sure as heck couldnt do it financially-Im blessed and I know it-but am I just being a jerk? heartbreaking-even gave them directions to homeless shelters we were told about for them! Im not kidding when I say we have been hit up by so many people every corner on everyblock we walked!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Honestly, they know when those conventions come to town. It happens in Vegas like that too - all near the convetion center though because the cops run them away from the hotels. It is really sad.

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I will NEVER EVER go to the 16th Street area in Denver ever again. What a mess!

Anyway, this problem has been going on for a long time. The current administration apparently doesn't feel the need to take care of the problem. NEVER give them money! Instead, try this...
    http://step13.org/

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Yeah that was the first time I had seen them right infront of the hotel today-ahhh. Im in my hotel room right now -on BYC-because I dont want to walk around anymore-we leave tomorrow anyway but it really has ruined some parts of my trip...Mind you Id rather be on BYC anyway but seeing as were in another state I have to at least show some interest in smething else other than BYC for DH's sake:)

5. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Salem,Oregon has gotten worse too! I had not been there in seven years and they are on every corner! I help who I can when I can but I am not rich!

6. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Colorado Springs is much nicer than denver and has much better mountain views. Unfortunately we are getting quite a nice little shanty town popping up along a creek near I-25. At least it isn't near the hotels [​IMG]

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:We are in between 14th and 15th street right now! I know exactly where your talking about--how far away do you live from that? I wanted to post so bad when I was coming out here to meet fellow BYCer's but didnt want to impose on anyone last minute you know?

8. Quote:and my son and DIL just bought a house in colorado springs, since he is stationed there. Hope it's not near i 25 [​IMG] marrie

9. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I live south of Colorado Springs between the Springs and Fountain. You are too far away for me to meet for coffee before my belly dance class at 7! LOL

We went to the 16th street mall and even spent the night for a book club event. It was during a beer fest so it was packed with drunks and homeless people. We couldn't even get in to any of the restaurants! We ended up at the hotel bar eating junk...LOL We got coffee and sat outside the next morning by a Starbucks. We got to watch the homeless shower in the fountains.

Needless to say I avoid Denver as much as possible.

10. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Sundance, there are not many residential areas by that creek. I think the kids are safe. What area did they pick?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by