RANT: MILs New Chicken

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cozycritters, Dec 19, 2008.

1. cozycritters

cozycritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    My MIL got a new chicken yesterday-- let me share the story...

Someone decided to give this lady a new fuzzy 'adorable' chick as a birthday present.

They stuck her in a 1 X 2 box and, as she got older, they were 'afraid' of her, so she never got out of the box.

She's a white leghorn-- the same age as my MILs younger chickens, but about half the size and slab-sided. Apparently, they only fed her when they thought of it.

The poor thing is scrawny, terrified, and has been horrible neglected.

Nice Birthday Present.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Quote:Gee. I wish the same for the owners. I cant read stuff like this without going berserk.

3. cozycritters

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    I know-- I'm so furious-- the poor thing doesn't even know what the other chickens are-- she just has her head tucked against the fence and sits there-- and MIL said she ate like CRAZY when she saw the food...

Some people need to use their BRAINS before giving animals as presents!

4. farmergal

farmergal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Nor Cal
    that's so sad! glad to hear that the poor thing has found a more compassionate home now, though. hopefully she'll learn how to be a "real" chicken now [​IMG]

5. Don

Don Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Oil City, PA
    that is why God created cast iron skillets that are slightly larger than a human head ... [​IMG]

6. cozycritters

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    [​IMG]

7. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Oh, I see. So, your MIL rescued the poor thing? May God richly bless her. That is horrible! I knew I shouldn't have looked at this thread! I can't STAND to read stories about animals being mistreated.

8. cozycritters

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Yep, my MIL took her in, when she heard that the pullet was in this tiny little pen and never got out. She said the lady said the whole family was 'terrified of her'.

Right.

9. Momo

Momo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Nelson BC
    Man, I hate this kind of stuff! What is wrong with our society that some people are so divorced from the real world that they can (a) think a chick is a good idea for a present, or (b) be afraid of a chicken!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wonder if the sort of folks who can desperately damage the mind of another creature in such a careless way are the same sort of people who profess to be horrified at the thought of someone raising healthy/happy chickens and then quickly chopping their heads off?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by