RANT NPIP!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

So I've been trying for almost TWO years to get someone to come out & test my birds...last August, I was told to contact them after the 1st of the year to set up an appointment. I was also told it was free.

So I email them today and I get back a response stating that it's $85/hour for the inspection & one test--the responding lady did not know if the $85/hour was just for the time spent ON our farm or for time/travel (Olympia is a good 7 hour drive from us!)

She then finished by saying the second (required) test is something that we'd also have to pay for out of pocket! She told me to be prepared for a few hundred dollars--maybe more, depending on how many birds I had to have tested! ARRRGGGHHH!

So now what? I REALLY wanted to be certified this year! If I purchase NPIP certified babies from NPIP certified breeders, do those need to be tested too? Every bird on my place is out of hatching eggs (minus my birds from Holderreads' and Holderreads' is NPIP certified). The others I've selected from NPIP breeders....

I am going to write them back--but I'm not sure what to say now?? Although I know what I want to say! [​IMG]

2. bantamman13

bantamman13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    I don't know how the laws are there but here in Tenn. everytime you add a bird you have to be recertified by the letter of the law. Does not matter if the stock you aquire has been NPIP tested or not. Good luck

3. Rare Feathers Farm

[​IMG] YUCK! Maybe I'll just have to hurry up & add all of my birds now? LOL That doesn't even make sense--why would the birds have to be tested again--if they already have come from a certified flock, twice? [​IMG]

4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Might not hurt to talk to someone else... that seems a little excessive.

5. bantamman13

bantamman13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    Fees nuff said on that. Hope its different there

6. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    You need to talk to Tailfeathers about this. Apparently there is/was a hearing in Olympia recently about this very issue. Sounds like all the breeders are very upset, I don't know enough about it. Pips and Peeps (sp?) would also know--try searching NPIP in breeders and hatcheries forum.

7. Rare Feathers Farm

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Might not hurt to talk to someone else... that seems a little excessive.

Yeah--if that's the case, there will be a LOT of non-NPIP certified farms out there (scary!) and not all will be as cautious as myself!​

8. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:Thanks!

9. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:Oh really? I didn't hear about that?? Hmmm...I wonder if it's too late to write a letter to whoever in Olympia & let them know my TRUE feelings? [​IMG]

Thanks! I'll PM and see what I can find out!

10. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Seems to me that I read somewhere that chicks hatched from NPIP stock are not required to be tested... I could be wrong, but that makes sense to me. Otherwise, why would there be a certificate if every bird had to be tested anyway? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by