1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

*Rant* Rude people and their dogs

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by KinderKorner, Nov 18, 2009.

1. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Gr. I have a photography college class, and I have 5 fine art landscape pictures due tomorrow.

So I went out to the public park to get some nice shots last night. I stopped at the lake. I was trying slow slow shutter speed to make the water foggy, so it had to be almost completely dark. So I got there at 4. Took about 3 pictures. Keep waiting for it to get darker. And I hear a rustling across the lake. So I focus my camera, thinking maybe I could get a good shot of a deer. And a huge German Shepherd bounds out of the brush dragging a leash. Okay. I ignore it cause it's pretty far away. But it hears my camera I guess and decides to try and swim across the lake to me. It gets half way then turns back, so it runs all the way around the side of the lake. I can see it coming at full speed to get me, so I dash for the car. My extra batteries in my pocket went flying out and hit the pavement. I barely made it in and closed the door by the time it got there. I duck down to hope it doesn't see me and goes away. But after it circled the car a few times, it stops me. Jumps up onto my car. And scratches all over it. While it barks and attacks my closed window, and smears slober all over everything. A guy comes out of the tree, and calls it once. It doesn't listen, but after a few minutes it gets bored and goes away. The guy just leans against his car and smokes. I wait until the dog seems distracted, and I slowly creep out of my car, spot my batteries, and dash back into the car all while it spots me again and chased once more.

Okay so I can't get out without being attacked. Maybe they will leave in a minute. So I sit there.... For an hour. While he smokes and lets his dog circle around. Finally it's too dark to take pictures and I leave.

I was so ticked. First dogs running loose is illegal in the park.

Second, I wouldn't mind. If the dog was controlled, or once he saw it chasing me he called it off and tied it up.

But the dumb guy didn't even care. He just sat and watched, while I was doing something and his dog attacked me into the car. Excuse me. Rude. He seen me run to the car, and scream at the dog because it was trying to get into the car as I closed the door. I was there first, and peoples dumb dogs can't chase off other people who are enjoying the public park. I should of called the cops. I am a young 100 pound girl. And this huge dog about gave me a heart attack. I though I was a goner for sure. When some random german shepherd runs at you full speed, and attacks your car.

Not to mention my car is all scratched up.[​IMG]

I still didn't get my pictures. And now it's raining. What a jerk.

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Did you get his license plate number. You could still turn him in, or possibly ask for the money to fix the scratches. Next time, turnn him in right away. Also, carry pepper spray. I hate it when people let their mean dogs roam.

3. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    Wow that would annoy the crap out of me too! [​IMG] I cant say that I would have tolorated the guy standing around smoking, I would have started screaming at him to call off his dog. I have been know to let my dog off the lead at the park (just did it yesterday) but if your dog is out of control then thats compleatly different. What if there has been kids around or a smaller dog? Obviously the dog was agressive. I would have called the police or animal control or whatever, he should have had to pay for the damage done to your car.

4. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    Do you have a cell phone? Time to call the cops, while you are sitting there and let them know what is going on. Don't just drive away mad, why should this guy and his dog be allowed to terrorize you?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:Agree. And most cell phone companies offer plans for little to no money just to make emergency calls out. These days it's crazy not to have a cell phone when they are so readily available and reasonably priced.

What a jerk! I hope you get your pics soon.

6. chickens4me

chickens4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    Oh, my, I would also be very upset about that, too. What kind of an owner was that?! The worst kind, I would say.

When I go to the park, my dogs are always on a leash as they are required to be, but often other people's dogs are not. At our nearby state park, my dd had her sandwich eaten right out of her hand by a loose Jack Russell Terrier when we were having a picnic. The owner said she was sorry, but acted like this was "normal" for her loose dog to do this & still did not bother the leash her dog (the leash was in her hand!) But...at least we have not been chased by a German Shepherd...I would have been truly terrified. So glad you are all right. I would need to "rest up" after an episode like that.

Maybe some pepper spray would be helpful next time you are out? It may give you some element of protection next time.

Best wishes in your photograghy class, too & Be Careful!

7. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I had a phone. But I'm the type of person who just sucks it up and takes it. I didn't really want to get him in trouble. And I was so in shock I didn't think of calling the cops until I was home.

I was yelling. At the dog. But both of them ignored me.

I agree letting your dog run if okay. But not when their are terrorizing the other people.

I wish I would of yelled at him to control his dog. But I wasn't sure if it was a good idea. Me being a young girl, alone, with some guy who looks kind of scumy. The little voice inside my head told me to keep quiet. But I regret it now.

It just makes me mad. I wish people would be more considerate. I would never let any of my animals attack anyone. Especially not a stranger, in a public place.

My friends father is a ranger there, so maybe I will tell him. Tell him to keep a look out for a green truck and a german shepherd. If he comes back they should be able to at least give him a warning.

Edited to protect privacy. ~Lisa~

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2009
  8. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Don't get me wrong, I love dogs and have 4, all rescues but if that was me the dog would have tire tracks on it. [​IMG]

Steve in NC

9. NGT ANGL

NGT ANGL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Locust Grove, VA
    Whatever you choose to do in this incident, if you are in a similar situation in the future, just please, please be careful. With only you and this man with the dog in the park, that could have been a potentially dangerous situation for you to be in alone in particularly if the man seemed to be passive aggressive in knowing his dog was threatening you but not taking any action to stop the dog. Just be very aware and careful at all times. Please. [​IMG]

10. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    Your instincts were right, probably best not to confront this man alone, since he obviously didn't give a rip anyway, and could have been dangerous. Next time, if there is one, get in your car, lock the doors, and then call the police or rangers and let them take care of it. Be smart, be safe, but don't be a doormat!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by