*Rant* Stolen trap

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Bettacreek, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    The soon to be BIL has traps set up all over the place. A few on a mountain road "Pete's Run", at least two of our camps have traps, and I'm not sure if he has any elsewhere or not. Anyways, the Pete's Run sets we were looking forward to, as we've been spotting a lot of critters up there near the sets, mostly coons, which have the highest price right now. Anyways, the brother checks the traps twice a day. Sometime last night, we lost one of the most promising sets. Some *unmentionable* jerk stole the entire trap. It was definately not an animal, because there were shovel marks (wth?). They were thinking that someone either watched the trap being set, or knows where it was (ie, they know us). Personally, I think they caught a critter and someone spotted the critter. Either way, traps are NOT cheap, and that was one that he had just had shipped in last week, brand new. Why are people such *unmentionables*?!

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

I hate that for you. There is nothing worse than spending hard earned money on somethign only to have someone steal it.

Hope you find the culprit!

3. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    Traps? Like in Pioneer times and stuff?

Wow.

How much for a coonskin cap?

4. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Trap like the thing that catches the leg of a furbearing critter, lol. We don't do hats, just take the hides to someone who purchases them. They collect, then export them. I think coon hides are around $10. Doesn't sound like much, but when you add it up over the trapping season, it can turn a profit, especially since, if not stolen, you don't have to replace traps very often.

5. Dread Pirate Roberts

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    Oh, like those traps that have the jaws that spring up and catch the leg, like on Bugs Bunny and Road Runner and stuff?

hmmm...

People still do that? It's legal? Man, if you've gotta hike all out into the winderness and stuff and find a place where nobody will find/steal your trap, then why not just grow some herb instead? Oh, I guess it's not the season.

6. Dread Pirate Roberts

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    How about a Rat-Coon tail so's I can put it on the back of my bike helmet?

7. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

DH's buddy is western NY is a big time trapper. Red fox and coon opened there this past week. He even took the week off of work...lol.

I asked for a fox tail for Christmas. [​IMG]

Responsible trappers do a great job of keeping the populations of these critters at a good level. Perfectly legal and well needed in many places.

8. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    People still do that? It's legal? Man, if you've gotta hike all out into the winderness and stuff and find a place where nobody will find/steal your trap, then why not just grow some herb instead? Oh, I guess it's not the season.

[​IMG]

I'd love to set traps for the coons around here- but I'm afraid my dogs will get caught or something.

Hunting season just started and someone ripped down all of our "Posted: no hunting" signs. Nice.​

9. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    That's weird that they have different trapping seasons. Here (just below NY), we have one trapping season. We do have daily limits on certain critters, and certain critters require a permit (bobcats), but everything can be caught within those regulations during the entire trapping season. Our season just opened last week. The brother just got a grey fox the other day, and took it in immediately. We're going to have a stuffed fox. The foxes, we either get like $3.50 for the pelt, or spend a fortune to get it stuffed, lol.

Happy, I'm sorry that happened. [​IMG] People are such jerks. There're tons of acres of state forest to hunt in. When you replace the signs, make sure you check your state regulations, they do have to be a certain height from the ground, and within so many feet/yards of each other to actually be legal. Otherwise, someone can hunt on your ground and get away with it.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  10. Dread Pirate Roberts

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    heh, the whole thing just makes me think of "Appalachian Emergency Room". [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by