1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rant! Stupid &^%#$ @#$$% mobile butchers!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by MBLayfield, Feb 27, 2008.

1. MBLayfield

MBLayfield Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    Wellsville, UT
    I had an appointment today to have #26 slaughtered. Old black angus girl. I've had the appointment since Jan. 2nd, that's how long it takes to get someone out here! So, this morning at the crack of dawn I released #26 from her holding pen and corraled her up in front of the gate so that the truck could back in. I strung electric fence to keep her put. The day before I spent three hours snowblowing snow so that they could back the truck down to the gate. There was alot of snow but it took me forever because I'm battling with a ton of lung issues right now.

I called the mobile butcher this morning at 8:30 to make sure I'm on his list for the day. There is no appointment times they just show up sometime during the day. Their system blows but unless I haul the cow 50 miles over the mountain I only have this butcher. If I kill the cow no one will come slaughter it so I'm stuck. [​IMG]

:thun I just called AGAIN and was told they will be here tomorrow at 1:00 to slaughter. I requested and took the entire day off to get this done and i've been blown off by these guys and got a half-a**ed apology. I took the day off because its their policy that an adult be here. I get that, I'm cool with that.....

I'm mad as hell that this happened and I got such crappy service after having this appointment for two freaking months! What is so freaking hard about calling and saying "hey we are backed up, looks like we aren't gonna be able to make it today"?

After going off on the guy he says that they can do it without me being there. Really dude? How the h*ll do you know which cow I need butchered since I have 25 others in various pens etc., right next to her. You think I only have one angus heifer out here or what?

Needless to say I did get them to give me the kill fee for free, so thats $65.00 bucks but that sure doesn't come close to what I lost today waiting for them to show up.

Oh yeah, and my kid is freaking out about having to be there to tell them what I want done with some of the beef. I doubt she's going to ask for the liver, tail, tongue, etc.

I'm sure some of my attitude is because I haven't had a cigarette in three days now, but still, my hell, is it too much to ask to at least get a call if you can't come rather than finding out five minutes before you close your doors for the day?

Thanks for listening to me rant! I needed that!

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    Get it out! :mad: why do people do that. if you make an appointment, you better show up. I wouldnt have gave them my bussiness i would have done it myself. take the day off to do that then loose out all together.

3. MBLayfield

Oct 22, 2007
    Wellsville, UT
    I'm so mad right now that I'm ready to go do it myself. I did it last year myself, and learned very quickly that I like butchers. My neighbor across the pasture owns a meat store and cuts his own meat but he won't do mine for me. He doesn't do the kill and if he helps me out I guess his license is on the line or something. I don't know the legalities. Sure would be nice if I could flip him some cash to help me out....... I'm waiting for DH to get home, and we may very well have a beef hanging in the garage before dark.

I just don't want to call and cancel and cut my nose off to spite my face if you know what I mean, I've done that before when i've gotten mad......... :mad:

4. ChickenSquat

ChickenSquat Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2007
    Social Circle,Ga
    Keep on ranting!!!! better to rant than to smoke.[​IMG]

5. MBLayfield

Oct 22, 2007
    Wellsville, UT
    Quote:LOL you're right about that! Unless I smoke some alfalfa I have nothing to smoke here. Cleaned it all out and put it in the trash and I burnt trash yesterday......... Ashtrays have even been disposed of, I'm done with them.

Funny how I never notice how much my house, truck, purse, hair, clothes, etc. stink! I mean it I stink and never even realized it! PeeEwww! I've been scrubbing and scrubbing.....

I've had some cravings but whenever I do I chew some gum and go walk to the barn. I hate gum, always have. I'm figuring out its not so bad now.

Stupid mobile butcher..... They make a ton of money, why aren't there more of them?

I'm paying or was paying $65.00 to kill, up from $50.00 last year. Boy bullets have gotten expensive! Then its 32 cents a pound off the hoof cut and wrapped. Last year it was 25 cents on the hoof.

6. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    Hey, if you have poblems wanting to start smoking again, get some chantix it has worked wonderfilly on several people i know.

7. MBLayfield

Oct 22, 2007
    Wellsville, UT
    Quote:What is chantix?

8. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    As I told you before, been there, done that. Smoking is a very strong addiction, but you can conquer it. However, do not expect it to be painless...You WILL need to do it without drugs. In other words, it is going to take WILLPOWER. For about 3 weeks, there were times when I fought hour by hour. YOU have to do it. If you're close to God, ask Him to help. That's how I did it...I could not have done it alone. I believe that smoking is a sort of possession. I am not a nut, but there were times when I talked to the entity, and he talked to me. Sorry, I didn't mean to go here. You can believe it or not, but right now, if you're serious about quitting smoking, he's testing you. DON"T give up the fight. I DO sound like a nut, but I'm not, honest....

9. blevisay

blevisay Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2007
    Portland Tn
    Good job getting some $ back. See if you can get more for the next time;)

Yup 3 weeks, after 3 weeks you got it easy!

I quit last year after some health stuff, try gummi bears also. I found that I was REALLY hungry all the time. I hve since taken the weight off I gained.
    Good Luck and Hollar if you need help!

10. Equest94

Equest94 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    New York
    Quote:What is chantix?

Chantix is a prescribed drug that helps reduce cravings and thus help smokers quite. I also heard it was very affective.

http://www.chantix.com/content/Abou...tShowHighlightOn=../content/About_Chantix.jsp

As for the cow...... darn, I'd be ticked too! Honestly, people now a days (in general) have become so rude. We had to get our freezer fixed and the guy kept postponing it for 3 weeks... we had to trash a lot of it in the meantime..... :|

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by