Rant

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mandelyn, Mar 31, 2011.

1. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    AAARRRGGGG! Just got my duck eggs, broken to bits! Perfect box, good packing, but what the heck did the post office do to it? Shake it maliciously? 3 broken eggs, the other 3 with broken air sacs, and one with a ruptured yolk. Seriously??? I've had cracks before in one or two eggs, but never anything like that.

How do they get SO damaged but the outside box and the container they were in stay perfect? They were not lacking for cushion, nor were they in there too tight. The were in a 6 egg carton, wrapped in tissue, then surrounded around that with more cushion, and when I opened it, the inner box was right in the middle where it should be, it hadn't shifted.

Do the 2 with the dislodged air sacs stand a chance? Can I open the end of the shell where it should be on hatch day, if they even develop?

This is nuts. I was so excited to see a perfect box too.

2. Hi! I hate to hear that about your eggs.
    ...were in a 6 egg carton, wrapped in tissue,...

If I had to guess, I'd say that was the problem.
    You have nothing to lose by setting the 2 with wobbly air cells.
    For certain, I would contact the seller and let them know that the eggs arrived in sad shape.
    Good luck!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa​

3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Put the ones with the wobbly air cells in a carton somewhere that you won't move them for at least 24 hours. Put the eggs into the incubator, egg cell upwards and do not turn the turner on for 3 days. This will usually help the air cell stabilize enough.

4. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    By wobbly, you mean floating around inside like a bubble? When I candled the air bubble moved much faster than the yolk! First time seeing that.

5. By wobbly, you mean floating around inside like a bubble?

Hi! That's a good description. Wobbly, loose, dislodged --- same thing. I've never been able to get an egg that had the air cell 'knocked out of whack' to hatch here, but this is a good idea to try:
    Put the ones with the wobbly air cells in a carton somewhere that you won't move them for at least 24 hours. Put the eggs into the incubator, egg cell upwards and do not turn the turner on for 3 days. This will usually help the air cell stabilize enough.

Good luck!
    Lisa​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by