Ranting about neighbor's friends

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by gudrin, Nov 6, 2009.

1. gudrin

gudrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2008
    Minnesota
    I am so frustrated right now. We have absolutely wonderful neighbors. They are kind, hard working, stay out of our business as needed, but help out when we need it as well. This morning one of their friends shows up. At 7:00 a.m. Or maybe it's the guy's brother. It looks like the same vehicle...I don't know. Anyway. 7:00 a.m. the guy pulls up, and honks his horn! Wakes up my daughter who is sick right now. It's just a common cold, but still, she needs to sleep, and I need her to sleep so I don't get frazzled before my husband gets home. Okay, so now I have an awake two year old. No big deal, we'll just lazily start our day and it should be fine. Actually, it has to be a friend, because the brother has small children himself and knows us, and wouldn't do something stupid like that.

Suddenly our dogs start going crazy. My husband goes and looks out the kitchen window to find a strange black lab out there with them. He's sniffing in their food bowls and causing them to go insane. Luckily there was no food in the bowls, because our dogs are on a schedule for feeding during the day. My husband takes the air horn that we have (and got as a gag gift at some point in time...) and opens the window and takes out the screen and starts blowing it. Dog does nothing, no reaction from the neighbor's house.

I throw on shoes and head out to take stupid dog home, as I'm only in sweats and my husband is in work clothes. Stupid dog finally gets to neighbor's property. I chased it a little further on up to the house over there. Okay, we should be fine. I should be able to actually feed my dogs now. Nope. Stupid dog made a bee line for my dogs as soon as I turned my back. I thought, okay, if you're going to be that stupid, and your owner won't come out to check on you, I'll get out my big guns. (Not literal guns...) I untangled Kurva's (the meaner of my two dogs) chain and let her have full reign. She got him twice, and he was looking for a way out. I had her sit next to me and let him go through. I haven't seen him back since, but it wasn't till after all that that the owner stuck his head out the door and called to him. Kurva only did a dominance type of bite on the stupid dog's neck.

I think my neighbor might have warned him that we will let Kurva have her way with a strange dog, and she will win. She's a husky for crying out loud, and very territorial. She was on her own property. This is the same dog that caught, killed, and ate a muskrat while on her chain. And she was still hungry for supper! My neighbor's dogs we have no problem with. Every now and then their farm pup will come and investigate the car going via the pasture, but then you just tell her to go home and she does. I've never experienced a dog in this area that wouldn't listen.

Oh, and I do feel a little bad now thinking back on it, because I know the black lab was just a big pup, but boundaries had to be learned. And for those of you wondering how we can have a mean dog with a little one around: We never let our daughter around the dogs unless we're right there watching. And honestly, it's like both dogs know that she's little and are very gentle with her. She helps us feed them and brush them and pets them while we put fly-repellent gunk on their ears in the summers.

Thanks for letting me vent. I just checked and the black lab is now running around over there with one of the other neighbor's yellow labs, and should stay out of our yard, so I can finally go and feed the dogs. I just won't let my daughter help this time for the just in case. I really do not need her knocked down by a dog fight.

2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Good job!

3. RlgNorth

RlgNorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    North Pole, ALASKA
    (And for those of you wondering how we can have a mean dog with a little one around: We never let our daughter around the dogs unless we're right there watching. And honestly, it's like both dogs know that she's little and are very gentle with her. She helps us feed them and brush them and pets them while we put fly-repellent gunk on their ears in the summers)

I have a dog that has a bitting history ( found out the little girl was poking him with a stick through the fence so he jumped the fence and bit her) All 5 of our dogs are around our kids and have NEVER shown agression so I understand where your coming from. I have 3 huskeys and I totally agree with you they are very territoral. I dotn see anything wrong with what you did and I bet you wont' have any more problems with the lab pup.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:Somewhere on another forum there is a post from one of your neighbors complaining about how they were woke up by an air horn. Sorry, I couldn't resist. [​IMG]

5. gudrin

gudrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2008
    Minnesota
    Somewhere on another forum there is a post from one of your neighbors complaining about how they were woke up by an air horn. Sorry, I couldn't resist. lol

Nah, the one is a teacher, and she had already left for the day by this time. The other one was definitely woken up by the guy honking his horn, if he wasn't up already. We don't have any other close neighbors. The next closest is our neighbor's mom and step-dad, and that's 3/4 of a mile down the road. And his mom works in the schools and I saw her drive by already. His step-dad is an early riser, I guess, at least that's what I was told.

They're all out hunting now next door. Must be pheasants that they're going for. Deer hunting doesn't start till tomorrow I guess. We still have so much corn in around here that many people can't get to their stands. Unless it's just up north that deer hunting starts and we start a week later. Not quite sure. Can you tell I'm not a hunter, even though we live across the road from public hunting land?​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by