(Ranting) I'm going to have to re-home 2 chickens...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by pattee, Jun 25, 2008.

1. pattee

pattee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    And wow it doesn't feel good.....

Some of you know I just found out I have a rooster. Not only have the neighbors commented but the little bugger has intentionally bit 8 times... I try to give attention nope, I held him close to my chest and thumped him on chest (not hard of course) put him down and right back biting! [​IMG]
    (he's a EE 10 week old bantam)

I have another favorite and guess what she's starting to crow!!! [​IMG]
    (10 week old white crested polish bantam!) [​IMG]

I can't stand it!!!! I'll be down to 6 (2 polish girls, 2 wyandotte's, Mille d'Ullce bantam and a silkie bantam)

I wrote to MPC and told them them that I got 2 roosters and I paid extra to sex them. I mean what can they do send me my $ back... I just wanted chickens!

Sorry this a rant [​IMG]

2. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    Ranting is good. I can't keep roosters, so I'd be just as upset as you if I realized after I fell in love with them that they had to go. [​IMG]

3. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Quote:right there with you. I would be heart broken if any of my girls turned out not to be girls

4. chicken quartet

chicken quartet Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    Corona, CA
    Man, I totally feel for you! I'm in the same boat. I've only had chickens for 3 weeks now. I originally bought 4 what I was told were hens, paid $10 bucks a piece for them. 3 turned out to be roosters. I just GAVE them to a lady. Bought 2 marans chicks last Friday and one of them died today! [​IMG] So I now only have 3 chickens left!! I'm so discouraged today. I'm thinking why did I do this? [​IMG]

5. pattee

pattee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Oh wow you've had some trouble chicken quartet
    I'm thinking now I have a polish rooster also....

It's discouraging~ [​IMG]

6. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I am not an expert by any means, but from what I have read "putting a rooster down" is even more of a challenge. I would imagine "thumping" him on the chest is just playing HIS game. There is a BYC member who has an excellent site for dealing with roosters, I am sorry I cannot recall their username. I recall that many of the sites I read, listed the actions you took as a no-no, with the exception of the holding against your chest.

Sorry that you got roos when you wanted hens. It happens, but it shouldn't happen that much.

-Kim

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  7. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by