Rapid feathering

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mshirk, Mar 28, 2011.

1. mshirk

mshirk Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    Sammamish WA
    My first post!

I've been reading BYC for a long time. I got my BO chicks 17 days ago. When they arrived they had no feathers, only fluff. As of today they are 60% feathered. This seems VERY rapid compared to what I've read. I've even searched through the archives! I'm not exactly concerned, they are happy and warm and growing. I would just like someone to tell me this is normal?!

They have big wing, shoulder, tail feathers, and feathers starting up the neck between the wings. Underneath they seem to be feathering out as well. I can literally see new feathers grow significantly from morning to afternoon.

2. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Uhm, weird! Mine don't grow that fast...
    They do go through several moults though.

3. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Would love to see PICS [​IMG]

My girls are 3 weeks old and are about 50-60% feathered. We got them at 4 days old and they were just chick fuzz!!

4. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    What breed do you have? My polish chicks are closer to 3 weeks and are already developing feathers.

5. arenea74

arenea74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    [​IMG]

6. Coldweatherbirds

Coldweatherbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Maine
    Pics?

7. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:She stated in her original post that they were Buff Orpingtons.

I would say that these chicks, likely being from a hatchery, are just fast mature-ing.

8. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Sounds right about normal for me! At three weeks old my chicks usually have all their wing feathers, little tufts of feathers over their shoulders and maybe the beginnings of neck feathers. Pullets usually grow tail feathers sooner than roos, so if they're pullets, they'll usually have a big bunch of tail feathers too. But a lot depends on individual breeds. Plus I've heard they feather out faster if you don't overheat them. Or rather, if you keep the temperature in the brooder on the high side, you can slow down their feathering out.

It sounds like your chicks are growing fine.

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Agree.

And welcome!

10. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    sounds like my production red girls they are about 5 weeks old and are prob 60% or more feathered out

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by