Rapid growing chick! Why?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickenPeep, Oct 31, 2011.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Hey guys! Last week, we had a staggered hatch.
    Out first pip was on Fri. The first hatch was Sat, along with 7 others that day. All silkies!
    The next day, we had a yellow silkie hatch, and a banty.
    And the next day (Sun.) We had a little black chick and a little yellow chick hatch.
    Now, the little (now big) black chick that hatched is the one i'm posting about! I'ts rapidly growing!! All the others barely have wings and tails, while this guy has full wings, a tail, and is starting chest feathering! He is also huge compared to the others! [​IMG] I'm thinking it's a roo. And the weirdest thing is, the chick that hatched a few houst later from it with the same father, is really behind! What is going on? His name is Spook. He is quite a lively little guy. Why is this happening? I'm not concerned, but im curious! I'f he's a roo, we can't keep him.

What is going on? Do you think he's a roo?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres the other chick i was talking about for comparison. it's name is Doodle! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one's just for fun!
    [​IMG]

2. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

I've heard (usually) that females have a tendency to feather out faster than males. That theory has proven correst for me everytime so far. So..... maybe you have yourself a big lady there [​IMG] Maybe.... [​IMG]

3. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I had a hatch in August where the girl was almost completely feathered out -- wings, tail, shoulders, legs, while the boy from the same hatch barely had his wings -- I thought he'd be nothing but a fuzzy baby forever -- with a bright red comb!! So, your little black boy might likely be a little black girl. that's what I'm thinking!

Jenny

4. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Then, do you think the little yellow one is a boy?

5. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    In my flock of 12 "pullets" there was one roo, and we called him/her Little Red because he was so far behind the others, like two weeks behind, in the case of getting his tail feathers. If that helps...

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If you have stock from a wing feather sexing breeds that were bred slow feathering male over fast feathering female, that would give you a high probility of your birds being wing sexable.

That said, that guy might have some standard sized chick genes in him. LOL and be a big ol monster of a a bird. :p

Some just feather faster than others.

7. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Thanks for the info guys!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  8. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Super ChicK!! at your service... mam what do you need?
    [​IMG]

9. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]