Rapid weight loss/not eating/ off balance

Chickenaddict

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2008
East Bethel MN
1) What type of bird , age and weight.- Serama hen, 2 yrs old, 9.6 oz now

2) What is the behavior, exactly.- Last week I noticed her standing in the middle of the yard with her tail down and kind of puffed out. She has been doing this alot in the past week.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?- Besides the symptoms noted above there is nothing else that indicates a respiratory infection or anything else like that, she is just loosing tons of weight very fast

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?- No everyone else is completely normal

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.- No signs of trauma, I checked her over last weekend and gave her a bath because she had poop all over her backside

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.- I haven't the foggiest idea what could have happened to her

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.- SHe acts like she eats but really she is just tossing the crumble around, she drinks fresh vitamin and electrolyte water on a regular basis

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.- Poop is very runny

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?- Vitamins and electrolytes in her water, rescue remedy, scrambled eggs to try and get some substance in her

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?- I would LOVE to take her to the vet but finances don't allow that so I will be treating her here

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use- Pine shavings in the coop that are changed out once a month, sprinkled with DE

Last weekend I noticed her behavior so I picked her up and brought her in the house to weigh her. This hen used to weigh about 16 oz. Last weekend she weighed 11.6 oz and just yesterday I weighed her again and she had lost an additional 2 oz. I have all the birds on a regular worming schedule using ivermectin every 3 months they are treated. This keeps mites/lice and internal parasites away so that is not the issue here. SHe had never been one for being handled but now you or anyone could walk right up to her and pick her up. SHe is sooo weak she can barely stand. I have her in the house and have since I first noticed her acting a little off. Her face and comb are extremely pale. The birds free range in the yard when I am home and often hang out in the compost heap. The only thing that stands out in my mind as to why this is happening is the neighbor fertilized his lawn recently and even tho the birds are fenced into my yard is it possible that some of that crud flew over here and affected just her? I wake up every morning thinking I am gonna find her dead in her cage. She is nothing but skin, feathers and bones now. My plan is to cull her if I can't get to the bottom of this. She can't keep going on like this thats for sure
hit.gif

Rachel, I'm so sorry this hen is ailing so badly. Do you know if she's been laying eggs without difficulty? I fear she may be internally laying. I think it's worth the gamble to give her antibiotics to see if it beats back the problem, at least for awhile. There are varying opinions on which antibiotics (terramycin is worthless apparently) but penicillin may be an okay choice. You can do a search here on BYC for internal laying and gets all kinds of info. Time is if the essence though. ...

JJ

Thanks so much for the response JJ.
She hasn't laid an egg in a very long time but her abdomen feels completely normal to me, thats one of the first things I checked on her. I now have another serama hen who is acting the same way only this one can barely walk, when she does she nose dives into the grass. I am now leaning towards some sort of poisoning. I haven't a clue what my next step is suppose to be now. What I have on hand as far as meds go is denagard, duramycin, and sulmet. If this is botulism what can I do for them before it's too late? Doing research on botulism now...

Back
Top Bottom