1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

raptor care

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickachickawhat, May 21, 2008.

1. chickachickawhat

chickachickawhat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    hartford county ct
    im volunteering at a raptor rehabilitation center. dealing with all birds of prey i cant wait i have to call next tuesday for hours and days im excited. has anyone else done this?

2. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I did about 15 yrs ago--quite an experience

3. ZykloniaDark-GothikRanchr

ZykloniaDark-GothikRanchr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Saint Cloud Florida
    I have not, but I would love to!! I have always wanted to go into falconry. The birds of prey fascinate me to no end. You are lucky! you will have to keep us posted on how it goes!

4. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    People in my parts of the town do care if they're on probation. It's pretty much an easy community service. Do one round and yer done. Anyway, it's right next door to me. So funny seeing a co-worker cleaning bird crap. At least we have a bird recovery center I say. Seems like there's more domesticated birds then there is wild birds. Just my observation. Quite a feww parrots that out lived their owners too.

5. chickachickawhat

Mar 16, 2008
    hartford county ct
    its all birds of prey, red tail hawks, screach owls, great horned owls and such

6. Tutter

Tutter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    N. California
    Not in the same place, but it was part of what I had the opportunity to do when I worked at the zoo, many years ago.

Please keep us posted on how it's going! [​IMG]

7. chickachickawhat

Mar 16, 2008
    hartford county ct
    i will i start next week and i will take pictures

8. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I did it a long time ago at one of the first raptor rehab places, in Minnesota. It's interesting, and very cool to be so close to the birds. I did alot of prepping dead animals for them to eat; not quite so fun. I particularily liked the imprinted schreech owls and kestrels. Their small size and extreme tameness made them seem almost like pet birds. They were unreleasable due to imprinting, mainly coming from illegal falconers, but still fun. We even rehabbed some trumpeter swans that got lead poisoning during an extreme drought. Talk about dangerous, nasty birds, they beat the raptors wings down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by