Raptors are killing my flock

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by the foot, Mar 2, 2014.

1. the foot

the foot Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2012
    My free ranging Delawares are being killed by red tailed hawks. We have an abundance of these attack birds. I want to let my chickens roam, but it looks like I will have to keep them in the pen. Any help? How can I defend against the big guys? The red tailed hawk is a low flier similar the German habicht, who can kill hare-sized game on the fly.

2. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    We've got both hawks and owls and I think the cold and snow has made them extra-brave. One owl swooped down and snagged a squirrel off my deck railing in broad daylight as we stood at the window watching. Quite brazen!

You can provide them with hiding places if they free range but the raptors are persistent. Any time you free range you're going to have losses to either hawks, dogs, foxes, etc. That's just part of the free-range territory. Due to two foxes, several coons, the hawks and owls, my girls are in a large pen with a covered top. I'd love for them to free range but it's just not possible right now.

3. Coles FreshEggs

Coles FreshEggs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    Ipswich, Ma
    I also share the same problem, this is how I solved it. You will have to keep them in straight for 2 weeks. I know it sucks, but hey, its better in the long run. after that, I randomly let my birds out. I would let them out for ten days straight, keep them in two days, let them out for one, in for 3. The key is to create a pattern, that isn't a pattern. You want the hawks to realize that their isn't always a food source here, and they may move on, mine did. They come back, but whenever I see one, I do a 2 week lock-down. My birds are happy, and I give them hay, and they are all set. Hope this helps!

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    x2. When I have a hawk problem, my birds are in their covered run for ten days, or until the hawk hasn.t been seen, for ten to fourteen days. This has been a severe winter here in Michigan, so my flock has not been free ranging for quite a while. Can't wait till spring!

5. heyhell

heyhell New Egg

Mar 2, 2014

6. heyhell

heyhell New Egg

Mar 2, 2014
    Install poultrynetting, i had this problem netting was the answer

7. hensfortherapy

hensfortherapy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    Liberty Hill , Tx
    Will the hawk take a full grown chicken? Do they fly off with them? Is there any sign of the attack? We have hawks that come but the chickens take cover under trees.

8. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    Most hawks will pull out a bunch of feathers and eat the chicken or part of it right there, it is difficult for a hawk to fly with a large chicken, however a big hawk and a smaller chicken it could fly off

9. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    I've used deer netting in the summer and it works great. However, not knowing where this poster lives, didn't mention it as snow and ice destroys deer netting. Just pulls it down and the ice will tear it apart.

10. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    Many people make this claim and I find it is simply not true. I'm in far northern Wisconsin and meet massive snow falls and accumulations. I have the 2 inch netting from amazon. It's like a Mason line or nylon string netting and the snow doesn't effect or at all

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by