1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rare and beautiful breed suggestions?

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by chickenpatch, Mar 12, 2015.

1. chickenpatch

chickenpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2015
    Hello,

I am soon going to start breeding rare poultry, not for shows, but for selling.
    I am looking for about 6 different breeds, but there are some conditions.

1. Roosters should be in the smaller ratio of hatching rate
    2. Roosters should be beautiful so they are easy to sell (I don't want to go putting them down)
    3. No feathered feet
    4. Available in Australia
    5. Reasonably Rare
    6. It would be convenient if they could be sexed by colours, but it's not a must
    7. Any size
    8. Good natured
    9. Easy to sell to the public
    10. Easy to hatch, low mortality rates in chicks

I understand not every breed will fit into this category, but any ideas mentioned I will research into.
    I am not a starter chook carer, I have being rescuing and keeping chickens for over 20 years, so I know what I'm getting myself into.
    Please mention any breeds that pop into your head!

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Have you looked into Phoenix's, I don't live in Australia but those are popular enough to find but not enough to have much competition. People seem to like them whenever their at shows.
    I thought Old English for the array of colors they come in but the bantams are way too popular but I barely see the large fowl version.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by