Rare Breed assortments?

kari_dawn

Songster
10 Years
Nov 2, 2009
North Texas
I have two rare-breed assortment chicks in my order. I am pretty sure one of them is a buff brahma, but I am not sure about the other one. Maybe buckeye? She doesn't have a single comb. The possibilities follow. What say you?
  • Buckeye
  • Ancona
  • Easter Egger
  • Ameraucana
  • Sumatra
  • Andalusians
  • Appenzeller Spitzhauben
  • Buttercup
  • Faverolles
  • Campine
  • Wyandottes
  • Brahmas
  • Marans
  • Delaware
  • Dominique
  • Dark Cornish
  • Cochin
  • Welsummer
  • Sultan
  • Polish
  • Exchequer Leghorn
  • Sussex
  • Hamburg
  • Jersey Giant
  • Blue and Lavender Orpingtons
  • Partridge Rock
  • Light Brown Leghorn
  • Lakenvelder

blrw2.jpg
blrw.jpg

Attachments

• blrw3.jpg
    blrw3.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 4
Agree, looks like a buckeye...orange across the back and burgundy tipped beak. Emerging feathers looks exactly like the buckeyes we started earlier this spring.

Are buckeyes rare? I noticed they were new to the hatchery we ordered ours from, but I just thought that meant the hatchery hadn't carried them before.

I would say 'somewhat rare'. They're a north American breed, developed in the early 20th century and the only breed developed by a woman. They're known for being fair layers and good meat birds, that is... the heritage version. Hatchery version, I wouldn't say is much of a meat bird, and as far as I can tell lays pretty well. They're supposed to be pretty good hunters too.

Are buckeyes rare? I noticed they were new to the hatchery we ordered ours from, but I just thought that meant the hatchery hadn't carried them before.
Somewhat. But less common than many of the other breeds on the list.
Not sure how Easter Eggers made it in the "rare breeds assortment"?
  • Buckeye
  • Ancona
  • Easter Egger
  • Ameraucana
  • Sumatra
:confused:

I would say 'somewhat rare'. They're a north American breed, developed in the early 20th century and the only breed developed by a woman. They're known for being fair layers and good meat birds, that is... the heritage version. Hatchery version, I wouldn't say is much of a meat bird, and as far as I can tell lays pretty well. They're supposed to be pretty good hunters too.
That's why we ordered them this year...we need help with mice, and they are supposed to be excellent foragers and hunters! Our chicks at 6 weeks are super curious and friendly too, and have gorgeous plumage. Although when picked up, there's a few who are very vocal about their displeasure!
Also, I love the idea that they were "Made in America", and that they have a small comb, our poor Buff Orp roo got frostbit last year (MN), and we were looking for something with less exposure. The American Livestock Conservation Society has a cool article on Buckeyes:)
Have fun with those chicks!

Back
Top Bottom