Rare Breed Chicken Coop Design

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by austintgraf, Feb 1, 2012.

1. austintgraf

austintgraf Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    This is a design of a large barn I plan to build in order to help preserve rare breeds of chickens. CB= Cabinent Incubator, SA= Still Air Incubator, F= Feed Bin. If you have any suggestions or input or breed recommendations that would be great! :) Thanks ~Austin[​IMG]

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Woah! That's going to be huge! Hope it turns out well. I'd love to have one of those coops! [​IMG]

3. Wow![​IMG]That sounds(and looks)like a really awesome coop! What kind of of chickens are they?

4. austintgraf

austintgraf Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Thanks :) Umm I raise A variety of chickens currently, unfortunately none of which are really all that rare. After the construction of a coop I built I placed my rare breeds pullets in it. They were light brahma, wyandottes, dark cornish, turken, seabrights, ect. Well they were fine the first night. The second night a coon killed every single one of them :( alls I had left was roosters, which I sold. I won't be building my rare breed flocks back up until after this summer, I am touring the country and am not about to leave newly established flocks in the hands of a novice caretaker. I currently raise old style RIR, the dark mahogany LARGE ones, mille fluer and porcelian d'uccle simply because I love that breed. Some high show quality fawn OEG bantams and a couple random show chickens that don't fit in: deleware, bantam cochin etc. Once I get back however I have big plans! I plan to start a white french marans flock, a lavender orpington flock, turken flock, pheonix flock, ect.

5. kkowa

kkowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    what are the dimensions of the breeding pens and runs?

6. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    I think you need water with a deep sink, perhaps in the area with the feed bins. You could incorporate the sink into a long work surface. With the money you'll have invested in your coop, you'll regret not running water inside.

7. chickiezar

chickiezar Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2016
    Louisiana
    I have a boy and girl porcelain born 4/2.

I have another boy 4/21.

I will let you know if I get some fertile eggs when they are ready

8. micah wotring

micah wotring Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2015
    WV boy here!
    Awesome! Someday, I'd like to have a big barn like that too! Although mine 'd be quite different. You might consider having a nice big sink w/hot and cold water too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by