1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rare breed egg layer?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Donnigan, May 2, 2016.

1. Donnigan

Donnigan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2016
    I have had Sex Links Rhode Island Reds Buff Orpington Barred Rock Australorp Maran And Ameracauna. I'm wanting to add something different to my flock. Any suggestions? Thanks

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Are you looking for more color in egg basket? Cream, green, white, tera cotta egg color? I'm guessing your "Ameracauna" already lays a green egg. You may want a true Ameracauna or Araucana or Legbar for blue eggs.

It's impossible to suggest birds without criteria of what you want out of the bird. There are so many to choose from and "rare" is relative. A quality standard bred Leghorn is rare and what hatcheries sell as rare breeds rather common.

3. Donnigan

Apr 30, 2016
    Egg color does not matter but i prefer a brown egg :)

4. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Then start out looking at hens with a red ear lobe instead of a white ear. Not all red eared chickens lay brown shelled eggs but NO white ear lobed chickens ever lays brown eggs.

5. Donnigan

Apr 30, 2016
    That's interesting i didn't know that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by