Rare breed identification

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AlexKilpatrick, Jun 20, 2011.

1. AlexKilpatrick

AlexKilpatrick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    These are from the McMurray "rarest of rare" egg assortment, with breeds listed here. Theoretically, they are definitely one of these breeds.

Sumatras, Dominiques, Golden Laced and Silver Penciled Wyandottes, Silver, Golden, Buff Laced, and White Polish, Golden Campines, Golden Penciled Hamburgs, Silver Penciled Rocks, Partridge, Black, Buff, Blue, & Silver Laced and White Cochins, Araucanas, Dark and Buff Brahmas, Phoenix, Fayoumis, Salmon Faverolles, W. L. Red Cornish, Lakenvelders, Black and White Langshans, Red Caps, Silver Leghorns, Crevecoeurs, Silver Gray Dorkings, Modern BB Red Games, Sultans, Buttercups, & Spanish

Chick 1:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He has extremely long legs. My wife thinks he is actually a turkey that somehow got mixed in with my batch. :)

Chick 2:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any ideas on which breeds these are? Also, any predictions on whether chick 1 is a rooster? It has a top-comb way before any of the other ones.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    The first one looks like a rooster and I'm guessing it's a black breasted red game.

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    [​IMG] Ok, I am going to venture a guess here....

Chick number one looks like an arucana (I say this only because it has green legs)

And chick number two looks like a salmon faverolle.

4. WA4-Hpoultrymom

WA4-Hpoultrymom Never enough coops...

Feb 5, 2009
    Monroe, WA
    My Coop
    First one is what the hatchery calls an Araucana, but it's actually an Easter Egger. The green legs are a tell tale sign. Yes, it is a rooster.

The second one is a Partridge Cochin.

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    OH gosh, I wish I could tell you, but I do think the #2 chick is a boy. All my roo chicks have that look, with the fuzzy, thick bodies that are slow to feathering.....

I also think #1 is a male. Those big, beefy legs, and that comb seems to be large for a chick........

I hope someone identifies them for you!

6. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Quote:Woops, forgot about the green legs. In that case it does look like an EE. [​IMG]

7. JPinVT

JPinVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Vermont
    My 2 cents:

#1: Modern game roo
    #2: Partridge cochin roo

8. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    What kind of comb does chick 2 have? If it has a single comb (similar to the comb on chick 1), then it is a partridge Cochin. If it has a pea comb (3 parallel lines of little bumps), it is a dark Brahma. Based on the way it is feathering in, I would say it is a cockerel.

Chick 1 doesn't have the right build for a Modern Game. So, that narrows the choices down to Campine, Phoenix, Fayoumi, Lakenvelder, or Leghorn for clean legged, single combed breeds in the list you provided. Easter Egger is not ruled out but less likely due to the single comb and lack of beard/muffs. When I first saw your chick, I thought "oh, what a cute little Leghorn roo". Then I saw the green legs... That's what's really throwing me on this one. His color isn't right for a Lakenvelder or Fayoumi. So, now we're down to Campine, Phoenix, and EE. I don't recall if Campines and Phoenix are supposed to have willow (green) legs. I'll have to look it up when I get home.

9. acy0029

acy0029 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Tucson
    #1 Campine
    #2 Partridge Cochin

10. AlexKilpatrick

AlexKilpatrick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    How certain are you guys that #2 is a roo? My friend is really attached to that one because she nursed it back to health after it had a leg problem, and if it is a roo we are probably not going to be able to keep it. It is actually a very meek chick, if behavioral stuff makes any difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by