Rare Breed Started Chicks in SE PA

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by meganwf, Oct 25, 2007.

1. meganwf

meganwf Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2007
    My order from Sand Hill Preservation Center "Dedicated to the
    Preservation of Our Genetic Resources" will turn 6 wks old this week
    and are feathered out. I'm still unsure about some id's but can clearly tell
    hens/roosters on most. I am NOT an expert on this! I will not ship but am outside of Philadelphia in
    Collegeville/Evansburg area and travel frequently to
    Souderton/Harleysville/Telford area. I'll send a list of what is available to whomever is interested. Thanks!

2. snugglepup

snugglepup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    I might be interested. Whatcha got?

3. meganwf

meganwf Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2007
    2 Exchequer Leghorns
    Appear to be hens. Description: Beautiful mottled pattern distinctive from Ancona in the large amounts of white. Rare in this country. Superb layers of large white eggs. Maintaining yellow legs is the biggest challenge. This breed is not yet listed in the APA Standard. $5 each

3 Red Leghorns
    Looks to be a trio to me, 1 rooster and 2 hens. Description: Deep red color, nice temperament for the breed, medium white eggs. $12 for all three

2 Single Comb Light Brown Leghorns
    I think they are both hens. Description: Medium sized chicken, very good layers of large to jumbo size white eggs. $4 each

Polish
    1 Black --A selection that is pure black with no beard. They are larger than the White Crested Blacks and lay a white egg. This breed is not yet listed in the APA Standard.
    1 Golden --Bearded and non-bearded sold together, white eggs, golden
    laced pattern, orange and black.
    1 Silver --Silver laced pattern, bearded, striking color pattern,
    white eggs.
    I have no idea if they are hens or roosters--how do you tell? But they
    are already having trouble seeing so a covered run would be best. $5 each

5 Anconas
    Looking to be three roosters and two hens. Description: Nicely spotted white on black. We are selecting for a heavy production bird. White egg layers. Anconas were developed in a city in Italy from which they take their name. They have yellow skin. Introduced into the APA Standard in 1898. $5 each

1 Silver Campine
    A rooster, already trying to crow. Very pretty guy. Description: Single comb, deep rich silver neck feathers, always sharp and striking looking. White eggs. $4

4 Black Breasted Red Kraienkoppe
    Again, can't quite tell the sex as of this writing. Either 3 hens and 1 rooster or the other way around! Description: Unique, old, Dutch type game fowl, males are the Brown Leghorn color pattern, the hens are a cinnamon color. They have a walnut comb and are fairly small sized, but lay extremely well and for the most part have a nice temperament, off-white eggs. Select your breeders to have uniform walnut combs. They are excellent foragers and mothers. This breed is not yet listed in the APA Standard. $5 each

4. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    if only you were closer i'd take the polish,lol. you are like 4 hours from me and i have 5 kid's to long of a car trip.
    silkie

5. Jimagination

Jimagination Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    Lancaster, PA
    I can't take any roosters, but would defintely be interested in some hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by