Rare breeds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by banter, Mar 3, 2008.

1. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Has anyone imported birds or eggs from Europe? I would imagine it is costly and difficult with the recent avian flu scare. I have two pair of Cream Brabanters and wonder about the possibility of how one can introduce new blood lines.
    Chris F in Maine

2. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Ideal sells them. Also I'm sure you can get some from some top quality breeders. Besides that, I don't think you'll have a very good chance at shipping them overseas.

3. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Someone has eggs listed on eggbid.com right now

4. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Quote:I believe Carla (allenwrench?) breeds them and I think she is in Texas.

5. LowLife

LowLife Cooped Up

Feb 29, 2008
    I imported a pair of Atkinson asils from the U.K.,Sir Herbert Atkinson brought asils from pakistan to the england around the early 1900's, they are highly sought after and many chicken peddlers often pass off look alikes for the real thing.I did DNA tests on mine just to make shure even though the breeder was highly regarded.

6. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    My eggs came from Hand Poultry in Texas. They hatched out to be beautiful birds, horned and muffed (that is my rooster Saturn's' pic to the left). I emailed them about their lines, and will probably get
    more eggs from them as they have some genetic diversity in their breeding. I'd sure lie to find other colors! Thanks Lowlife-How did you go about your importation? How difficult and expensive? There's a Brabanter site in Dutch which I found, but I'm a little rusty on the language lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by