Rare Central & South American (& South Pacific) Breeds

From my hatch of Huastec I got a black skinned white from the remaining pinkish egg. Do you think the whites come from the lighter eggs? If so I would like to get more of those sometime. If not, I really love the blue Huastec eggs, sooo different than the other blue eggs. Also two black chicks from blue eggs, both with a sheen of fiery red in the head and neck, one more than the other. One blue egg quit at the very end. They hatched about 20 days, took off running right out of the shell - very hardy.
The Sweet Potato Quechua are larger, roly-poly, weaker type newborns - need to rest more at first, gain slower than the Huastecs. They hatch later than a standard 21 days, more like 22. one finally came out tonight at 23 days. I think it would have died without help. Two striped brown chipmunk like, one is lighter and the other like a chocolate bar brown. The other two are not stripey, they seem mottled - one bluish brown, the other has a creamy under body. It will probably change as they grow out. One of those quit at the end too.
I've got some from South Americans cooking under a couple of broodys from ChooksChick also, hope some of them are Huastecs, some of the eggs looked similar. None will be the Bigger egg types. I got some of her silkied Ameraucanas to live with the SPQ too. Having fun with this...

Yashar, I'm getting another cabinet incubator from a customer this week and want to get some of your blue eggs- I have another project in mind!!

...or perhaps it's that I'm losing my mind...
hide.gif

[FONT=verdana, arial, sans-serif]Renée,[/FONT]

I think you are just having a normal response... to what I'm not sure. But none the less, I think it's a good idea. If I could get another cabinet incubator and fill it up, yet not drive my family absolutely crazy, I would...
You just have to say to yourself (over and over again), half of them are going to be roosters.... that seems to somehow make things better.

~Yashar

I just wanted to give a quick message to everyone who PMed me over the last few days. I've been working sort of crazy hours and don't always have much time to spend on the computer.
I'm working my way down the list of folks to get back with, thanks for your patience!
~Yashar

Here a few picks of a Koro Sea chick:
They haven't been a big hit here, but they are one of my favorites. I really want to spruce up their description... oh, where is the time?

One of the last SPQ's I hatched looked like that - mottled blackish/w brown and fiery red hints. The last one I hatched is a multicolored puffball - kinda like a stripey type that got all stirred up. The winter face nearly covers the eyes on it, one of the brown striped ones too (they are tentatively named Milky Way and Hershey).

Where can I find some info to help identify the eggs I got from ChooksChick when they hatch? I am panicking about how I will sort them into the right groupings, I really want to proceed properly. The photos on the previous page of this post will be a great help, if I can get them identified.
I got one very large white egg from ChooksChick, the rest the size of the Haustec - 2 tan, the rest white (maybe pale blue/green). I hope the brilliant colored rooster shown in her pictures is one of the Huastec, and I hope my little Huastec white chick will be similar to the first picture. I'm sure none of the chicks I got in the hatch of YOUR eggs will look like her gold, splashy or little white speckled hens, because they are quite dark, except for the white one - they will change a lot though, as time passes, I know.

One of my 3 Huastec has yellowish black legs, the others black. One of the 4 SPQ has dark legs, the others paler.

ANDDDD, if any of her eggs turn out to be a Koro Sea chick - of course, I will have to order some Koro Sea eggs from you. I'm finally starting to understand what chicken math is !!!

Shoot me a message if anyone can put me out of my misery ;~) . One thing I know, few european chickens will hold as much fascination for me as these do... Sharon

Just thought I would take a moment and post here....

These are my two "not Silkie" chicks.....

This is Bandit at three weeks old

and this Lavender at the same age

I ordered a variety of eggs from ChooksChick and Silkie were among them. My friend, Rhonda hatched the eggs. When I went to see the chicks, we noticed that two who hatched from eggs marked silkie were "not Silkie". Both had yellow legs, four toes, yellow beaks and no beard/tuffs. Come to find out that ChooksChick has some escape artists in her South American coop. The hen who laid these was hatched under a Silkie broody, I guess, and thought she should lay her eggs "at home". So Rhonda and I ended up with Lavender and Bandit. I think I was told that the momma hen was light blue with a lovely crest and from a Black Quechua and a Snowy Nikkei and since their legs arent feathered, that the father is a North American Quechua. As to the chicks genders, I have no idea. But I do love the their beautiful coloring(and I think I see a crest starting to grow out on Lavender!) and I am hoping we ended up with a roo and hen or two hens.
Thank you for all the great information Yashar! I have been reading up on the South American breeds as much as I can and what information I can find. So your's is definitely appreciated!
Thanks for the lovely surprises, ChooksChick! Our "not Silkies" have made this adventure even more exciting(and humorous).

Last edited:
Just thought I would take a moment and post here....

These are my two "not Silkie" chicks.....

This is Bandit at three weeks old

and this Lavender at the same age

I ordered a variety of eggs from ChooksChick and Silkie were among them. My friend, Rhonda hatched the eggs. When I went to see the chicks, we noticed that two who hatched from eggs marked silkie were "not Silkie". Both had yellow legs, four toes, yellow beaks and no beard/tuffs. Come to find out that ChooksChick has some escape artists in her South American coop. The hen who laid these was hatched under a Silkie broody, I guess, and thought she should lay her eggs "at home". So Rhonda and I ended up with Lavender and Bandit. I think I was told that the momma hen was light blue with a lovely crest and from a Black Quechua and a Snowy Nikkei and since their legs arent feathered, that the father is a North American Quechua. As to the chicks genders, I have no idea. But I do love the their beautiful coloring(and I think I see a crest starting to grow out on Lavender!) and I am hoping we ended up with a roo and hen or two hens.
Thank you for all the great information Yashar! I have been reading up on the South American breeds as much as I can and what information I can find. So your's is definitely appreciated!
Thanks for the lovely surprises, ChooksChick! Our "not Silkies" have made this adventure even more exciting(and humorous).
Lovely!!

I'm not sure where the yellow legs came from, as my SA all are blue or black-legged...so I'm wondering if Associate wasn't the father? Clearly if she could get out of the SA Aviary, she can get IN anywhere...Yashar, do you know if yellow is in the skin background of any of the birds you've had and could potentially be hiding in any of the birds I got? I can't remember if that's possible from the green junglefowl...

Here's a pic of the Momma, now aptly named Houdina.

I would say Bandit was a boy, and I think I see light muffs on both and a crest starting on Lavender. Sooooo...that means Daddy had a beard and was blue. I'm at a complete loss...unless one of my neighbors' birds came up and visited. That occasionally happens and they wander around the perimeter fencing of my facility. I'm no longer under any illusions of Houdina being stopped by that fencing, either!!

I suppose Associate could have had yellow hiding in his background, as the rest fits! It will be interesting to see how they grow out!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom