Rare chicken breed that a 4-H judge would love

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by forte22, Aug 17, 2011.

1. forte22

forte22 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2011
    Im currently looking for a breed of chicken that isnt very commen but a judge would love to see. Nothing to expensive but i would love to here your guys feedback on this. I currently have a par of Black cochins with an amazing hen that the judge said was the best bird in the show but the rooster had split wing! The kind of bird im looking at getting is just primarily for showing every year and keeping year round. Im also getting East Indie Ducks too to keep year round to show. All responses would be greatly appreciated![​IMG]

2. forte22

Aug 17, 2011
    im also just looking for a cool bird that would really stand out!!!!

3. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    yokohama...

4. forte22

Aug 17, 2011
    isnt it hard to keep their tales clean and good looking? I never got a Phoenix because i thought it was hard to keep that clean

5. Mystic Farms

Mystic Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    faverolles, sumatras or sicilian buttercups just my thoughts!

6. teddiliza

teddiliza Chillin' With My Peeps

D'uccles aren't rare, but they are underrepresented at shows....Here's the porcelain color. Mille fleur is also a nice color-- same pattern but more reddish/brownish and black colors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    Quote:to be honest, i wouldn't know...

welcome to BYC btw...

or, how about shamo...? a pair of shamo are great, but kind of demanding... they need lots of room and enough space by themselves... that would be a great 4H bird... really stand out of rest...

8. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    Do you need a hardy breed for cold climates? Check the Heritage Chickens website for breeds that are at risk for extinction and rare.

We love our Nankins. They are a true bantam and listed as a rare breed.

9. forte22

Aug 17, 2011
    We live in northwest indiana so it does get cold but i always insulate the cage and have a light on my birds. i really like golden Laced Polish chickens but of course i pick the wrong time to order birds [​IMG]

10. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Maybe I'm biased because of my handsome fellow of mine in my avatar, but rumpless and tufted Araucanas, whether large fowl or bantam sized, really are extraordinary birds. You can't get them from a hatchery, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by