Rare colour Khaki Campbell as breeding stock?

designbyaleks

Chirping
Jun 2, 2019
Hi all!

I was reading up on rare colour in various breeds and wanted some input on my khaki Campbells before I incubate. My original flock consisted of the drake plus the khaki and dark Campbell, that are now two years old - these ducks came from a breeder who said they were pure (we saw her own flock before purchasing the ducklings). The breeder also had runners, and call ducks at the time but seemed to separate everyone for breeding purposes.

Last year, we incubated eggs in the spring twice, and in one of the batches, this white lady, along with a male of near identical colouring, showed up among standard (khaki) coloured ducklings. She's the offspring of our drake and one of the ducks in the photo. Her different colouring makes her a fan favourite among our friends and visitors but obviously she's not the norm for the Khaki breed.

I was wondering what she may be mixed with, or if it's possible she's a rare colour khaki? Should I be concerned in using her eggs in this year's incubation?

She's a good layer, super friendly personality, but I just don't understand where her colouring came from and really want to learn how to breed good stock!

TIA for any insights!

Attachments

• IMG_6050.JPG
    IMG_6050.JPG
    702.8 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_6052.JPG
    IMG_6052.JPG
    660.6 KB · Views: 96
Here's what that batch looked like as ducklings ... I completely forgot we had a splashed one in the mix - he died from an unfortunate incident with our neighbour's grandkid. The second batch we incubated was 5 true-to-form Khaki's - no oddities, that we sold.

Attachments

• IMG_3659.JPG
    IMG_3659.JPG
    854.5 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3964.JPG
    IMG_3964.JPG
    469 KB · Views: 91
That Is interesting! If it were me i would try and breed more. If you can it may be a new color phase, if you cant it may be that she is a mix somewhere down the line. You know where to get more khakis, but that cream color?
Well I can certainly try to use her eggs (they're definitely fertile as of late) and see how the incubation goes. If she is a new colour phase, I guess that would be cool! This is the one and only time I've seen khakis that look like that, and the breeder I got my flock from in the first place has switched to breeding cayugas exclusively this year, so aside of my own back yard, I'm not sure where you could find them ;)

Well I can certainly try to use her eggs (they're definitely fertile as of late) and see how the incubation goes. If she is a new colour phase, I guess that would be cool! This is the one and only time I've seen khakis that look like that, and the breeder I got my flock from in the first place has switched to breeding cayugas exclusively this year, so aside of my own back yard, I'm not sure where you could find them ;)
If you hatch a bunch of her eggs then breed them back to her parents or her that should work if you hatch enough. If you get other random features then she is probably crossed up.

Well her offspring looks incredibly close to gold phase welsh harlequins - with the exception of the bill which is consistently light in colour - almost flesh-toned. Personality is quite nice and mellow but she’s an inconsistent layer and her offspring might be too - the whole batch went to a nearby farm so we can keep an eye out on development. What’s interesting is that i’ve bred again from her parents and they made a mix of true brown khakis and a couple more light ones but none of them as white in feathering as she is. They’ve all had more of the welsh wing and head colour! Also they are easily discernible as ducks or drakes by the colour of the bill at hatch. 100% accurate ID so far. She’s really an odd duck!

Back
Top Bottom