1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rare Doubled Egg Egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ruth, Mar 2, 2008.

1. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    My mom just called all excited about one of the eggs I gave her. She said it had another complete egg inside of it. I told her I had just read a thread on here about eggs within eggs which also had a link to an ag site that showed pics.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=35783

I told her the info said they were rare and the egg inside was usually small and had no yolk. She said the egg inside was only slightly smaller than the outer egg and BOTH had yolks. I asked her if she thought to preserve the moment in history and she said "no, we ate them".

Oh well - you would have known it - could have been rich like that family in Mexico with the rare green egg laying hen. Guess I'll have to wait and see if we get another one. Only problem is that I give almost all our eggs away. I call it my egg ministry. I give them to the maids, AT&T guy, propane guy, termite inspection guy - just about anyone who shows up here for any reason leaves with at least a dozen eggs. So I may never know if I have a rare double egg laying hen and if so, which one. No wonder they are all hiding their nests lately.

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Bet thats a wild looking egg!

3. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Well maybe two complete eggs in one wasn't so rare after all - only one person commented. I thought it was pretty neat and wished I had a picture. Anyone else get two shelled and yolked eggs in one? After mom called I cracked open some of my largest and heaviest eggs hoping to find another double but no such luck. Guess I shouldn't give away all the eggs in case there's another one.

4. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    I've never seen that before, but that sounds cool! [​IMG]

5. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    and the pics are were ? [​IMG]

6. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Quote:My mom found the egg. She hasn't taken a picture of anything in my entire life that I can think of, not even of me. [​IMG]

7. SillyChick

SillyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    That's a really strange-sounding egg! Congratulations! Yes, it sometimes happens in the hen's egg-systems when a "glitch" occurs. I hope you get another one soon! It's so cool..... You are also very generous of giving the eggs to others! I don't think I have the heart to give away my precious eggs. Oh and be sure you get a pic next time [​IMG]!

Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by