RARE! Genetic Hackle Hatching Eggs, Half Dozen - NPIP

Fly Fisher

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 31, 2011
Upstate New York
For Sale- This listing is for 6 or 12 fertilized eggs - These eggs will come from True Genetic Hackle Chickens. These birds have a history of over 20 years of selective breeding .to produce the beautiful feathers that fly tyers use to make their fishing and presentation flies.

These birds should not be confused with the birds you often see advertised as Fly Tie birds. These fly tie birds have similar colors but do not have the feather characteristics that make them suitable for Fly Tying.

These beautiful birds are specifically bred for the fly tying industry. These birds will produce beautiful capes and saddles that contain feathers with the correct attributes for creating fishing flies. You can expect eggs hatched from my breeders to produce long thin saddle hackles. Most of my birds have saddles of 15+ inches within 1 year. These birds will also produce Dry Fly Quality cape feathers.

Over the last several seasons I have made some nice progress in the quality and color patterns in my flock. You can view some of my current breeders in my profile page. There is also an album of cockerel photos taken this winter. (2014 album) All of the birds in this album were photographed when they were 7.5 months of age. All of the eggs that I will ship this spring will produce birds similar in quality to those in the photos.

These birds are large fowl. All of my stock are very cold tolerant.

All eggs will be sold in a random mix from my breeding pens. These eggs will come from my top quality breeders.

You will have a chance at the following colors / patterns. Grizzly, Grizzly Variant, Barred Dun, Light, Med, Dark Dun, Light Ginger, Ginger, Barred Ginger, Ginger Variant, Cree,
Black, White, Silver, Badger, Golden Badger, Silver Badger, Furnace, Cream,

These eggs are sold by the half and full dozen - Currently my incubators are full and I have a surplus for the next week or two. During this time the prices will be as posted below

Half dozen $50.00 - Full Dozen $100.00 - shipping is via the USPS - I ship in Priority flat rate boxes and the cost is $ 16.00
You can email or call with any questions 607-290-4022

Last edited:
Ooooo yay! I'm definitely going to be ordering from you again this spring! We love the roo we still have out of the first dozen from last spring!

What are the true bred birds?

The true bred fertilized eggs refer to being able to choose your eggs from a specific breeding pen. An example would be ordering a dozen grizzly eggs or a dozen golden badger.

Mixed eggs will get you a random pick from several breeding pens

Ken

Gosh these roosters are the most beautiful things. How lovely. What do hens from this breed look like, do they just have normal feathering? WOW.. what is the temperament of this breed of bird. I am newcomber and love to learn. Thanks, and good luck.. your birds are amazing!

MB

These birds are not a particular breed. They are the result of 20+ years of selective breeding to make beautiful feathers for fly tying. The hens are many different colors and have different feather patterns. The hens that I breed are very striking in appearance as well.

As for temperament the hens are fairly normal in their behavior to any standard breed. They are good egg layers and some get broody. The roosters are fairly docile when they are away from hens. When they are breeding they can be aggressive. They are very protective of their hens.

I have written a few lengthy post regarding hackle birds in the past. If you have an interest you can look up the posts and get a better understanding of these birds.

Fly

Are you selling these eggs again this year? If so I'd like to order a half dozen. Just let me know where to send payment!

Last edited:
Hi, how much in demand are these feathers with fly tie folks? Are the feathers shed and you pick up or do you process the bird and collect the feathers? thanks and wow looking birds!

These feathers are in fairly high demand if you have the avenue to sell them. The key to having a product that will be in demand however depends on your husbandry practices. Fly tyers want perfect feathers to make their flies.

These Hackle birds are very unique in the fact that they have been bred to have feathers in varying sizes that correspond to the sizes of fly tying fish hooks. Standard poultry does not meet this criteria.

It is most common to harvest hackle birds and process the pelts.

If you want more information on these beautiful birds you can read some of my past posts. I have written a few posts that explain their attributes in more detail.

If you have any additional interest in feather birds feel free to PM or call.

Ken
www.beaverkillvalleyhackle.com
607-290-4022

The eggs arrived the day after they shipped, all intact and thank you for the 2 extras! We've been really busy so I haven't had a chance to come update here. I'll let you know what hatches!!

I Just made some changes to my breeding pens. I now have some new roosters in the pens for their first time. The eggs from the new roosters should yield some beautiful Dun colored birds as well as offspring from this rooster which is just 1 years old. I will have eggs available for about another month.

All of the birds currently breeding are excellent quality hackle stock

Back
Top Bottom