Rare Mallard colors

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by buff goose guy, Dec 15, 2015.

1. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Hello all, I was wondering who else out there has gotten mallards not in the grey pattern but like whites, blues, snowys, and buff colored mallards.
    I myself have been breeding mallards for a while now and about 5 years ago i had one stray mallard hatch out of a clutch. The mallard was black and she grew up keeping the color, her chest however did turn out to be just a darker grey pattern with a few white flecks.
    I had been trying to get the color again when her first successful clutch produced 2 normal grey mallards i was kind of upset and wondered if it was just a color that could not be passed. However this past june i had another clutch of 2 hatch in the incubator from her one was black and the other grey. So i am now in the process of trying to find other lines of pure bred colored mallards.

[​IMG] one of her eggs

[​IMG]her with a rouen last fall

[​IMG]her first 2 offspring

[​IMG]her fighting another mallard hen
    [​IMG]her 2 offspring from june in the left corner

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  2. cayugaducklady

cayugaducklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2015
    New England USA
    The dark duck looks likes Cayuga cross. My girls just started laying and their eggs gave that dark gray coating on the shell. I thought they were the only ducks that had gray/black coating on their eggs.

She's gorgeous and so are the babies :)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  3. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    ive never owned cayugas and havent bought any mallard derived ducks from anyone who has owned any . All her eggs do not have the dark coating only that one i had found [​IMG]
    this is her usual egg

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by