Rare new "coop chickens" Please help identify breed...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pbjmaker, Jan 7, 2010.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    So I went out to check on the children since the wind has picked up intensity and the windchill is supposed to be around -20 then dropping to -40 overnight.

Lo and behold I found these 4 new chickens in there! Can anyone help me identify the breed?

[​IMG]

The chickens don't seem to mind them and I don't want to send them back out into the cold so they can stay for now [​IMG]

I just threw in some extra food and sunflower seeds to help everyone get through the night.

2. flora

flora Out Of The Brooder

Those are Starlings, and you will be sorry you fed them and allowed them to shelter in your hen house. They have voracious appetites and are very social, so will invite all their friends, relatives, neighbors, stangers they see on the street and any other starling they can communicate with.
    I learned this the hard way, I used to feed the wild birds, and it wasn't to long and the starlings ended up in a huge flock and would wipe out the feeders in 15 minutes, especially suet.

3. jelmer

jelmer Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2009
    I think they could be birds? joking na I dont know what breed they are

4. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    I dont know if you want them with your chickens, wild birds can spread diseases and parasites, especially if they eat and drink together. Just my opinion [​IMG]

5. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Like Flora said.

Get rid of them. Don't let them in. Kill them if you have to. They are not protected and are highly invasive.

6. chickenshagg

chickenshagg THE ALPHA ROO

Apr 18, 2009
    St. Charles, MO
    They look like starlings which are not native to the US. They are considered a pest. I would kill them. They probably won't do anything but eat your chickens food but they also could carry diseases that could effect your chickens.

7. cap1717

cap1717 6 chooks, 1 slave. . . me!

Jun 12, 2009
    definatly Starlings, and definatly a specie that you do not want to encourage. Wasn't this one of the "imports" from the Brittish Isles like the house sparrow? A real nuisance here in the states!

8. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    Please kill those. They are a horribly invasive species that a stupid Shakespeare fan imported many years ago. Snake shot or spraying with dish soap works dandy. [​IMG]

9. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Maybe I can jsut stick my two outdoor cats in there - they have been confined to the house for nearly a month and are itching for a hunt. My coop isn't very big so it would be easy for them.

ETA: I always thought starlings were bigger than these guys are and all black - no brown or white.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  10. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Quote:Those are definitely starlings. They are really colorful birds but you don't want them around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by