Rare "Platinum" Pair of Peafowl! Female Sits on Eggs!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Kedreeva, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    I went to the Indiana swap meet this weekend, and the pickings were fairly slim for birds this year (disappointing!). It was my hope to find an opal hen for my Octavian, but alas. However, I DID find some really amazing(ly wrong) offers for sale!

My favorite this year was a pair of peafowl labeled "Rare Platinum Peafowl! Female sits on eggs! $200" I had originally wandered over because I spied opal color from across the aisle through the throng of people... and what I found in the cage was a pair of spaldings. The male was an opal spalding with faint yellow on the cheeks but not much else for color change, and the female was I'm not-really-sure-what spalding. She had more yellow on her cheeks than the male, and she was very dark in color, almost black. Any guesses on what she might have been if not a regular IB spalding?

Of course I inquired about the pair and she assured me that she bought them from a guy who told her that they were a very rare color called platinum. I explained to her what she had before I left. If only the opal had been a hen! I'd have made off with a spalding opal hen with no one the wiser [​IMG]

My second favorite find? The dog cage with 6 blackshoulders (3 male 3 female) labeled "Pied peafowl". I asked the seller if he knew they were blackshoulder and he gave them a looooong look and said "They are. And I don't know why they are labeled pied." [​IMG]

There was also the pretty blackshoulder male (who was very clearly male) labeled "Peahen $65" and the pair of IB peahens for sale labeled "Female Peacocks $100 each" Female peacock?? [​IMG]

Oh the fun!

2. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Ha maybe I will start calling my white peachicks rare Albino Cloud peafowl. They glow in ultra violet light. Lol just kidding. I thought it was funny when I got my first peafowl I already had researched peafowl soo much that the breeder was pointing at peafowl they had and asking me what variety they were...I think what happens is some people unexpectedly get peafowl like just happen to see them at a swap or something and just get them on a whim not really knowing much about them. It is these people that fall for the platinum stuff and chocolate peafowl, ect. That is pretty bad though that they had a male and thought it was a female...Lets hope they didn't want a blackshoulder peacock!

If I were there I wouldn't be able to resist correcting people too. Not only is it bad for the seller that they don't know what they have but it is bad for the uneducated buyer who is putting their trust in the seller thinking they must know more than they do because they have peafowl.

3. Kedreeva

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Quote:I'm dying! XD Oh god can you imagine telling someone that at a swap?!! "Bioluminescent" comes to mind! Glow in the dark maybe! The possibilities for inventing random names for the uncommon colors are endless! hahahaha

I do end up telling people what they have at swaps... mostly they are grateful (usually when I can tell them the gender of "young" 3-4 month olds), sometimes they frown at me... that lady with the "platinum" birds did NOT like hearing she did not have platinum peafowl. She was like "Well the guy we got them from had over THIRTY colors you know." I said ma'am, there's two hundred and twenty some color and pattern variations in peafowl and I could probably name all of them if you want to sit here and discuss it, and I could explain to you anything you want about their genetics.... and I'm telling you platinum's not on the list. [​IMG] Oh well. They were really cute hybrids, and since in like... I dunno, eight or nine years or so that I've been going to swaps I've never seen javas or even spaldings for sale, I probably could have told her she could have actually gotten MORE listing them as spaldings, especially the opal spalding... but I didn't.

4. angie3881

angie3881 Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow! You know a lot about peafowl! I just got a pair in late winter and knew nothing about them at all! My male is (I think) black shouldered and my female... no clue! She is very grey and has some green on her neck. If I uploaded some pictures of them- would you be willing to tell me what I've got?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:post the pics or pm them to me, yep bet we can tell you what u have.

6. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Thing about the 200 plus Varieties.

if you break it down only 5 patterns and 13 colors.

Lot easier to understand if you break it down.

Patterns

1. barred wing
    2. soild wing(blackshoulder)
    3. white eye
    4. Pied
    5. Silver Pied

Colors

1. Green
    2.blues
    3.white
    4.bronze
    5.charcoal
    6.jade
    7.midnight
    8.cameo
    9.purple
    10.peach
    11. opal
    12. taupe
    13. violete

So you are really only working with 13 colorsw and 5 patterns.......lot easier than thinking of all 200 plus

7. Kedreeva

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Quote:Yeah WAY easier. But much more fun to say 200+ varieties to people who clearly have no clue! [​IMG]

Angie, if you post pictures I'm sure there are plenty of people who would be happy to name your color/pattern! We all love pictures [​IMG]

8. clinton9

clinton9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Hi deerman,
    I had never heard of the names violete, taupe, midnight, peach, purple, jade, cameo, bronze, charcoal, opal for peafowls.

Can you please tell me what these birds look like ???

I never known peafowls to have 13 colour mututions as there is nothing in books of peafowls.

I appreciate the photoes.

Clinton.

Quote:

9. Kedreeva

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Clinton, please visit this thread for some information on peafowl colors and patterns: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4731442#p4731442

If
    I recall, you don't live in the US, so many of the colors and pattern mutations may not exist where you are.

If you want photos of the colors and patterns, you should visit Brad Legg's website, or http://www.texaspeafowl.com for some nice photos as a start. You can also google search any of the colors and patterns and get pictures of them, since it's easier to just see them there than try to explain what they look like in words.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  10. C&Rman

C&Rman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    Clinton...

I have many pictures of midnights. I own a male myself. The one difrrence is that they have more darker blue necks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by