rare sultans

pokey

Warrior Princess
11 Years
Jun 1, 2008
upstate
why is it so hard to find sultans? i have read articals that these birds even come in blue, but darn if i can even just find them in white.

i would just beg for eggs, if i could find any.
big_smile.png

I remember there was a post on this topic some months ago along with a debate as to whether or not there are any actual blue Sultans. Apparently people have started breeding for other colors, but the resulting birds do not yet meet the breed standards as they still show traits from the breeds used to inject the Blue color.

Though someone had claimed that some breeder had some spontanious colors show up in a closed flock... I dunno much more than that.

Last edited:
I have White Sultans
Wasnt really planning on putting them in the breeder pen by themselves till spring though.
I did put 4 eggs in the incubator last week to test fertility, I candled them last night,and they are all growing.
Right now there are 3 sultan hens in with 1 Sultan roo and 1 gold phoenix roo, so they might not be pure, Like I said... Till spring
If you want to test hatch some of what I have right now.. I will send 6 or 8 for shipping only
Or pm me in March for pure eggs.

I have white sultan pairs for sale and I live in Franklin NC. I go to Anderson occasionally if you are interested. Mine are 8 months old and have just started laying. From a very clean farm, no mites lice etc. nice chickens! I keep all my different breeds in a separate coop and run so they cannot mix with with others. They are 50.00 for a pair or if you want more I can do a better price! They are the sweetest chickens you will find! They love to be held. I have included a photo of one of my hens and in the bottom photo one of my Roos.

chickenforsale0082-1.jpg

chickenforsale0052.jpg

Last edited:
sultan bantams are hard to find, large fowl sultans in good quality...well you'll see bigfoot before you find them:rolleyes:.

i know two people with a pair or two of bantam whites, and the one also has blacks, but they still need work.

Did you find any blues? I would love to see some of those. White is all I have. I am getting eggs now but I don't want to incubate this close to winter.

I've got one sultan roo (bantam) that we found at TSC this year for $1.25 in the bantam bin (he was originally from Privett Hatchery). We were looking for silkies, and at the time, I didn't know that silkies were supposed to have black feet! Anyway, we ended up with a white cochin hen with 5 toes on each foot and the sultan. I have a chick from him and I think the white cochin or one of the silkie girls. The chick has partridge colored feathers (so far), white sultan legs, and a weird colored beak. I'd love to get a few sultan hens, but I think I'll just wait until spring and pay $4 each for pullets from a hatchery.

Which breeds of chickens would be good to cross them with for other colors? I'd like to keep their form and body style, but in other colors (I'd really like to see a buff one, but that's just me). I have silkies, one OEGB bantam hen, and the one little white cochin hen, but that's it for the small breeds so far. If I can get my incubation down without having to resort to the broody silkies, I'll see if I can find some local eggs to hatch so I'll have different breeds.

Emily in NC

Back
Top Bottom