Rare white kiwi chick

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by AquaEyes, May 25, 2011.

1. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I saw THAT ........... SO CUTE. [​IMG]

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I saw that too!!

Adorable baby!

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    wow thats adorable!! How do those things hatch with a beak like tht??? I'm serious...Is that the reason why they are so rare???

5. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Kiwis (there are a few species) are rare because they evolved in a land without mammalian predators, and took up making their living rummaging on the forest floor for bugs and worms. The females lay one HUGE egg (it's about 25-30% of her body weight), so their reproductive output is low. I don't think their big bill is a reason for their rarity. Interestingly, they are the only birds with their nostrils at the tip of their bill, instead of being at the base. This physiology likely evolved as an aide to probing for bugs and worms in the forest floor.

Oh, and before anyone asks about having one as a pet, they're super aggressive.

[​IMG]

ETA -- I wanted to add that they're rare now because people brought new animals to their native land, for which the kiwis did not evolve defenses, and they became easy prey.

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  6. amydzek

amydzek Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    omg it is soo cute!

7. casuarius

casuarius Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    NC
    Invasive predators have about wiped them out...domestic dogs, cats, etc gone wild. New Zealand had no predators big enough to kill Kiwi's before man arrived...go figure. They are protected by the Endangered Species act with CITES and cannot be held captive outside of zoos. Though, if they would allow private breeders to start keeping them, their numbers would go back up fast...but of course zoo's know best. These are the only Ratites I havent had, always wished I could get some. Amazing to see a white one.

8. Dr Who

Dr Who Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    They are sacred to the Maori people of New Zealand and VERY protected. Not a chance of getting one. Even Zoos outside NZ are unable to obtain new specimens. There are a large number of different subspecies, and most are in danger of imminent extinction due to non-native introduced predators. Their eggs are huge - about the size of an ostrich egg!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by