1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

rasing quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by rasing cane, Feb 21, 2015.

1. rasing cane

rasing cane New Egg

Feb 21, 2015
    ball ground Ga
    im trying to raise quail for meat and eggs .but im new at it.I was thinking of stating off with jumbo browns .when raising for eggs how long do u keep hens before u trade out

2. rasing cane

rasing cane New Egg

Feb 21, 2015
    ball ground Ga
    another think I would ask if there are any breeders in Ga. close to canton where I can get a number of jumbo brown eggs for hatching.

3. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

They normally live 2 years +/- so most breeders will change out stock every year. If you are new to quail stick with coturnix especially if meat and eggs are your goal.

The word "jumbo" is far overused in the coturnix world so if want true jumbo birds you will have to find a reputable breeder. Most "jumbo" birds I see run 10-12 ounces tops, where real jumbo birds should be a couple ounces past that as an average.

Learn to take advantage of the advanced search here on the forum and you'll find every question you could possibly have regarding birds has been answered or at least discussed here in the past.

4. bush

bush Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    for jumbo coturnix in Ga. try orchard hill poultry, Griffin GA. Phone 678-858-1933 ask for Josh. Good Luck!

5. rasing cane

rasing cane New Egg

Feb 21, 2015
    ball ground Ga
    does any one know if I can put brown cotrunix and texas A&M quail chicks in same brooder box
    for 4 wks

6. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Brown coturnix and TA&M are the same bird except the feather color. So yes, brood them together..... "Texas A&M" Is the most misused phrase quail. Well.... with the exception of "Quails".... [​IMG] The birds you speak of are "Jumbo White". The original Texas A&M quail ended decades ago and were actually brown birds....

7. rasing cane

rasing cane New Egg

Feb 21, 2015
    ball ground Ga
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by