raspy breathing and sneezing in a few of my hens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Prissychicken, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Prissychicken

Prissychicken New Egg

Apr 18, 2013
    I live in Phoenix and monsoon season has hit. After a few days of rain I noticed a few of my hens, I have 6, started to sneeze a little. Well now they've progressed to some raspy breathing, and some mucousy nostrils. What is it? The chicken equivalent of a cold or is it something more serious? And what if any antibiotics should I be giving them? And do I need to give them to the whole flock or just the ones with symptoms? 3 of them have symptoms, just not quite sure what to do.

2. buttercup95

buttercup95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    I'd suggest some electrolytes for sure and also if you do give them antibiotics I think you should give it to them all to help prevent a spread. Also, if you haven't already, clean everything!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  3. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    If you can separate them from the rest of your flock. Check the pen for any signs of mildew. Dusty environment can also cause these symptoms. If you hear rattling in their breathing then its time to start antibiotics ! I would recommend doxycycline , if you can get it.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Sounds like they have a respiratory problem. I would treat them with Oxytetracycline (also known as Terramycin). It can often be found a livestock feed/supply store. The dosage is 1 teaspoon per gallon of water for 7-14 days. Other antibiotics used to treat respiratory diseases are Duramycin, Tetracycline, and Tylan. Terramycin is probably the best one to try first, but if it doesn't work, I would try giving Tylan injections.

As Fancychooklady mentioned, though, it might not necessarily be a disease. Is there any mold in their bedding, or are you using a particularly dusty bedding material that could be irritating their respiratory system?

5. Prissychicken

Prissychicken New Egg

Apr 18, 2013
    We started letting them free range in the yard after their bedding flooded from the rain, we've actually removed all the bedding from their run and coop and they haven't been sleeping in there for about a week now they've been leeching themselves on my patio at night. We use a clean sand bottom layer and then deep bed with straw and food grade DE dusting. They're about 5 months old and its the same bedding combo we've always used and they've never had a problem.

6. Prissychicken

Prissychicken New Egg

Apr 18, 2013
    Perching* not leeching.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Chickens don't have colds, but things like mycoplasma and infectious bronchitis can have those symptoms. Here is a list of respiratory diseases and symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

8. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    I had a mould outbreak last spring and it brought the upper res symptoms on. No chickens don't actually get a cold , but upper respitory disease can be triggered by many things. Gram positive antibiotics are the most effective defence against the bacteria. Oxytetracycline , erythromycin, doxycycline , duramyacin are all suitable meds. There are lots of broad spectrum antibiotics on the market. But these are specifically designed to target mycoplasma bacteria. I find it easy to acquire doxycycline ,so I keep it in the first aid kit. I don't personally use DE, but isn't it dusty?

9. buttercup95

buttercup95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    I use DE with all of my chickens they love to bathe in it. I mix it with ash from my wood stove and red dirt from the red dirt farm that I reside on lol. But it's not too bad actually and I even started using it with my quail and they enjoy it too. I keep it in the outside enclosure though and by the time winter hits I just take it out for a few days until it's dry again and they jump right back in it. I use little 4 inch deep pans with a 12 inch diameter.

10. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    I've read many things about it here on this forum, but I personally don't use it. But unless you have introduced new birds to your flock, then environmental factors are the place to start your research . I use ash from wood fire and of course it is dusty too. Turn the straw over and check that the underside is not harbouring any mildew.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by