1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raspy Breathing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by monkeyspinner, Aug 31, 2009.

1. monkeyspinner

monkeyspinner Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2009
    Arcata, CA
    OK For two days roo hasn't crowed. No has raspy breathing.. I put him in a cage at night and cover in a tarp. We have had some fog.. So I think this is the culprit... What do I do? I read an old post on respiratory. But should I stop covering him.. Should I take to a vet?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  2. monkeyspinner

monkeyspinner Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2009
    Arcata, CA
    Bump

3. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    I'd say a trip to the vet might be in order if you have one that treats chickens ... but mostly this is another bump. I'm sure someone can help you more than me. . . best wishes.

4. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    It could be an environmental cause, such as strong fumes or dust. It could be a blockage such as gape worm. It could also be weakness caused by some other system failure. Try antibiotics such as Tylan, Terramycin, Aereomycin, or Gallimycin... I believe these help with resp. issues. Hopefully someone with a bit more experience will chime in.

~Cherlyn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by