Raspy breathing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sweetpea325, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Sweetpea325

Sweetpea325 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2012
    Port Republic, MD
    my hen has had raspy breathing for weeks now. She is showing no other symptoms, she is eating, drinking and has normal energy. There is no nasal discharge and nothing coming from her eyes. She is not gasping for air at all. If she is sitting quiet, there is no raspy breathing but when they start running around or I pick her up, she starts getting raspy. I put her on Tylan but had little to no response.

Here is a link to a video of her breathing:

Does anyone know what this is and how to treat it?

2. Sweetpea325

Jun 22, 2012
    Port Republic, MD
    Anyone?

3. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Sorry, can't tell if there's anything really wrong. Not sure if that is her breathing or if she is intentionally make that sound. It's hard to hear, but almost sounds like my JG's when they are going to sleep int the coop at night, but mine are a lot louder.
    If there isn't any discharge or any other symptoms and she is eating, drinking fine and healthy in all other ways, I don't think I'd worry about it. Wish I could help more, but good luck!

4. Sweetpea325

Jun 22, 2012
    Port Republic, MD
    Thanks, she does it all day and I've had her for 2 years now and she only just started this. You can really hear it around the 16 -17 seconds mark. She also always lays soft eggs but I don't know if those two things are related.

5. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Most soft eggs are linked to calcium intake, either lack of enough or inability for her to properly absorb the calcium she does digest...
    I dunno if they're related or not...

6. Sweetpea325

Jun 22, 2012
    Port Republic, MD
    I keep two bowls of crushed oyster shell available at all times and she's always pecking from it. She's been laying soft eggs for about a year now. The loud raspy breathing only started a couple weeks ago. I've been watching her for 2 weeks now with her not being on any meds and it seems to be a little worse each week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by