Raspy, labored breathing and staying in the nesting box.

avapitman

Hatching
May 14, 2023
My almost 1 year old black sex linked hen keeps returning to a nesting box. She is normal weight and doesn’t appear to be losing any. I took her out yesterday to try and inspect her and she got up and ran around the yard like normal. She was eating things in the yard and took a dust bath. She has on and off open-mouthed raspy, almost gurgling sounds when she breathes. She does not appear to have anything wrong with her nose or eyes. When she came out, her poop looked very hard and sort of undigested, it was very green. She has come out to eat a few times and perch on the roost but keeps returning to the nesting box. My other hens have pecked her head bald. None of my other hens have similar symptoms.

Welcome To BYC

Can you post photos of her and her poop?

I'd check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight, look her over for lice/mites. You don't mention that she's consistently laying eggs, so she may be having some problems expelling an egg or other material. Giving her Extra Calcium for a few days would be a good idea. You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

Back
Top Bottom