1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raspy Voice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lillieegg, Jul 17, 2014.

1. lillieegg

lillieegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2014
    My Coop
    So my oldest pullet, Sunshine has had a raspy voice for quite a while (weeks). I think it's fine,but I want to know what you think. She eats, drinks, plays, and poops properly. I have two younger pullets* that squeak smooth little squeaks:p (*9 weeks). I never really thought anything of it, but I recently looked it up and got a little scared at what I saw [​IMG]. She still talks a lot, it just sounds a bit raspy or hoarse. I don't know if it's just her voice or if something's going wrong [​IMG]. I can post a video tomorrow if that helps.

2. ponie

ponie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2015
    Hi all need some advice, my one year old red star lost her voice a week ago. Had her on tylan 50 for 7 days and no better or worse. Could it be just viral? Acting eating and pooping normal. She is in the house now for a week since it's very cold and snowy here on Long Island . She is also a one and only untill spring when I purchase another to keep her company. So that being said she has no buddy to keep her war on these bitter nights. Any help and advice would be appreciated!

3. ponie

ponie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2015
    Also no discharge or watery eyes or sneezing. Just no voice. I looked down her throat and it seems normal and nothing stuck in there. I started oxine in a vaporizer 3times daily for 15 minutes sessions.

4. ponie

ponie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2015
    Any advice ?

5. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    Not sure I can help you. How do you know she lost her voice? Are you sure she did? Sometimes hens are pretty quiet.
    I think you did the right thing bringing her inside. I think sometimes less is more with chickens. I would advise posting your own thread with the subject line Hen lost her voice. You may get more help that way than using a thread called Raspy Voice.
    Let us know what happens

6. ponie

ponie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2015
    Thanks for your response. Her voice sounds as if she is straining. It went from her being very vocal and chatty to almost no sound coming out . Then it comes back very low as if she's has larengitis . Not to sound stupid just not sure how to start a new thread[​IMG]

7. ponie

ponie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2015
    Thank you started a new thread[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by