rat and mice problem

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by daveyblevins, Mar 4, 2013.

1. daveyblevins

daveyblevins Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2013
    chilhowie va
    well i put some poision out last night and this mornen all of it was gone and i got a rat in a box trap so i put out more poision this mornen and set 2 box traps and i put everything were my chickens cant get to it and i went to gather some eggs a few min ago and almost all the poison is gone so im going to go buy some more and keep putten it out till theres nothen to eat it.

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I would be really careful with poison. A lot of chickens eat mice and I would be concerned about the birds eating a poisoned mouse. I am not certain if this would kill a chicken or not but I wouldn't want to risk it.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  4. daveyblevins

Feb 27, 2013
    chilhowie va
    well i have a rooster by his self in a small pin and there has been rats and mice eaten with him and he dont bother them he lest them run around in his pin and idk y but i keep all the poision out of reach from my chickens and if i see any dead mice or rats i get them out asap and thanks for the help.

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    sounds like you could really use some cats & rat terriers

7. daveyblevins

Feb 27, 2013
    chilhowie va
    well i have 2 rull blooded jack russil terriors and they catch some every now and then but they like to kill chickens too so i have to keep them away from the chicken house and there are alot of srtay cats running around but i have to get rid of some of them they killed 2 of my chickens about 2 months ago so i dont want any cats

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by