rat & mouse feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by fc, Mar 24, 2011.

1. fc

fc Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2010
    Hi folks. I have what looks like plain old bird seed, but it's rat and mouse feed. It has corn, sunflower seeds, and small seeds. Do you think the sunflower seeds are safe for chickens? I just started throwing a hand full in once in a while for a treat. Thanks.

2. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    Chickens love sunflower seeds.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

BOSS is Black Oil Sunflower Seed, if you have see that word used in the forums. It's very good for chickens, shell and all. The larger, striped sunflower seeds aren't as great as BOSS, but if it's shelled, the chicks won't have any problems with it. If it's still in the shell, yes they need grit for sure!!!

4. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I had a box of old rat food from when my rat was still alive I just threw it into the chicken pen they loved it.

5. purelypoultry

purelypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    I would think they would enjoy it very much.

6. fc

fc Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2010
    They are shell-on sunflower seeds. Wondering about whether they will cause digestive problems.

7. schellie69

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I feed my black sunflower seeds shell on, the shell get digested just like all the other things they eat. No problems for chickens.

8. sune42

sune42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2009
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:I always wondered about that. I didn't want to shell 20lbs of sunflower seeds. I like my chickens, but not sure I like them that much. Good to know I can throw them in whole.

9. schellie69

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Quote:I always wondered about that. I didn't want to shell 20lbs of sunflower seeds. I like my chickens, but not sure I like them that much. Good to know I can throw them in whole.

Yep no problems as long as they have grit they are good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by