RAT Poop by food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by konjo, Sep 2, 2009.

1. konjo

konjo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2009
    Santa Clarita, Ca
    This morning I noticed rat poop in my hens run:(. Do anyone have any Ideas on some good bate to put on the outside of my run to get them.

2. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

I just used something called CyKill, which supposedly causes bleeding... and so they don't seem to smell as bad as with other baits, and I'd have to agree.

FYI... before I killed my mice I would've liked to know that the mice likely carry parasites & lice or mites... when the mice die, your chickens are next in line as food... so anticipate that problem to prevent it. Treat for mites etc at the same time.

3. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I personally wouldn't use a bait or poison if I were you, but it is your decision. The main problem....the rat eats the poison, it dies from internal hemorhaging (sp?), then the dead rat is eaten by a dog or cat or even your chickens...and that animal dies from the poison also. I have a very good friend who this happened to...her dog died within a week after putting out rat poison.

4. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:That's terrible, so sorry for your friends dog.
    My animals only bite moving objects and disregard any of the mice that might lay around the next day, which we clean up promptly. The packets are in places that the dogs, cats & chickens can't get to.

5. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

You're right...many animals won't eat an already dead animal. However, as the mouse/rat is dying, it loses it's mind, comes out of hiding and wanders around, stumbles, walks in circles and has seizures...right out in the open becoming an easy target for any pet that wants to eat it. I saw a poisoned mouse die on our kitchen floor when I was a kid. Ick.

I'm not trying to be rude or argumentative, but just want people to make an INFORMED decision about using poisons.

6. konjo

konjo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2009
    Santa Clarita, Ca
    Thank for the input guys. As far as parasites & lice or mites today is just the first day of the poop so I cleaned the coop and the nest and removing
    some of the food in the feeder and changing water do you think that parasites & lice or mites will still be a problem.?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    It happened to my dog. When she was a pup she was catching animals that had eaten those poisons and were alive but sick. Not knowing that and the levels being low enough not to cause obvious symptoms we had her spayed. Those poisons cause bleeding by stopping blood clotting and she almost bled to death after surgery. She spent 4 days in the vet office on IV fluids and vit k injections.

For rats just get one of those traps that use electricity. They zap the rat dead. Dunno if they work on mice but there are plenty of live and kill traps for mice. We just catch ours alive and throw them to the chickens or cats to take care of.

8. konjo

konjo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2009
    Santa Clarita, Ca
    Any good ideas what to put in the trap as far as bait ?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  9. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I've used lots of stuff for bait and found no real difference. Most of the time I just use whatever the critters have been getting into. Locating the trap well and making it more difficult to get into other things is more important than the bait used. If the trap is placed somewhere they frequent and other food sources are more difficult to get they will investigate whatever you put in there.

10. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm pretty sure that external parasites that live on rodents, can't survive on birds. So that shouldn't be a worry.

I don't use poison because I've seen my chickens catch and eat mice. [​IMG] But I don't have any good suggestions, sorry. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by