Rat problem

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Tenmore, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    I have A rat problem as I said in another post.........Im going to do a bait station made out of 4in sewer pipe...I have a question Ive heard that dog food is a or the ingredients in dog food are a antidote for rat poison. Is there any truth to this? The rats are eating both chicken feed and dog food. So if the poison dont work because of the dog food Im going to be in big trouble. last night I saw 3 adult rts and young rats....So doing the math if i saw 6 I have 10-15 maybe more. [​IMG] Ive got to do something. Traps aer not working Im leary about the poison dont want secondary poisonings of dogs or chickens or goats from the dead mice and rats or from the rats packing the poison off and dropping it where something else can get to it......Any Ideas would be appreciated. I want to sit out there with the .22 but i cant shoot that dont think the neighbor would appreciate it.

2. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Look at live traps , got a few adults in there; useing a hold fashion plain timbit, I also used Sticky traps in kitchen.. (Never got adults in sticky trap, but got lost of babies) Also got one adult with ld fashion snap trap.. it never caught it, but where we had it placed on ege of top of stairs.. Must've jumped and hit it's head, Dead rat bottom of stairs and trap set off on top..?

Then fianlay posion.. I put water out always close by, cause I heard it will activate quicker with water.. Smelled rats in walls [​IMG] Gross, but within a day smell was gone.. And even beter, I can now leave food on counter, and leave the room!!

When we moved in, I put sticky traps on counter.. Made supper, plated it, ate supper at table in same kitchen.. Went back for seconds.. There was like 6 baby rats on sticky pad... OMG Gross!!! i sure lost a lot of weight.. Grosssed me out so bad!! Couldn't cook or eat.. I got them now.. My grandma say's you through posin in that attic once a year.. You hear me!! You do that, that will help...

Rats really don't like disturbed things. .. So traps etc, need to be set for a least a week, befrore the smart ones will touch them.. Even then, adults can get off sticky pads [​IMG]

Good luck, please feel free to PM me anytime..

3. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    the best attractant for rats is their own turds I,m not sure it is a bait but this attracts them like nothing else the chicken feed mixed with peanut butter and a few eggs is a fair bait but if you can find what they are using for nesting material it will be urine soaked I have used bits of this to catch them in live traps the squirrel size then they get tossed in the rain barrel

4. judyc

judyc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    I had the same problem with dog food and rats. They would rather eat the dog food than the poison. I put the dog food in a metal trash can and fed the dogs in another area. After the second day, those rats were HUNGRY! I gave them a whole bucket of the pellet type of rat bait. NO MORE RATS!

5. Tenmore

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    I saw 2 more tonight with the spot light wish i could shoot the dang things but neighbors house would be the bullet stopper dont think he would like that.

6. hensofhallora

hensofhallora Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2011
    I use a poison that is accumulative. it takes about 5 days of rats eating the poison to finally kill them. A 2kg hen would have to eat about 70 dead mice to consume enough poison to kill them. One of my dogs would have to eat over 1,000 dead mice to kill them. Much safer for the animals you want alive!
    (we dont have close neighbours and my husband is a crack shot with a .22....... quickest way to kill the sneaky buggers!)

7. deChickyHen

deChickyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    I noticed a mouse last weekend... we went to the local dump, they otfen have old refidgerators and deep freezers out there, we found 2 nice size deep freezers and cleaned them up really good, now we keep all the food for the animals inside the freezers.. we put down snap traps and caught about 5 so far... but haven't seen or caught anything since sunday.... I hope they're all gone

8. Tenmore

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    Ya i have my food in containers thats not the problem It the rats getting to the feeder and the food thats on the ground that the chickens havnt cleaned up...

9. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2011
    Northern NJ
    I've seen a few dead rats that my dog caught and I see evidence of a tunnel under the coop so I assume the are moving in and feeding off of the spilled feed as the chickens can come and go from their hen house to the run. I raised the feed up off the ground so it isn't as easy to get into, but I am sure they will figure out a way in. I also blocked most underground entrances with stones and then baited one area with poison pellets (pushed well under the coop). So hopefully I can get the population down and not kill the hens in the process. I also have free-loading chipmunks that are living large off the hens...they are next on the list, but I first want to focus on the rats...they multiply way too fast.

I figured I found three...there must be 30 more out there. Might try a simple live trap using a 5 gallon bucket and some bait just to see what falls in.

10. Tenmore

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    Progress has been made poison is out....Traps are out and finaly caught 3 young rats wondering if poison got the adults which forced the young ones out on there own or if they were kicked out ....Time will tell 3 down who knows how many more to go

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by