Rat proofing gate latch

TahomaChickens

Chirping
Nov 25, 2021
We've got rats living under the shed by our chicken run. So, I'm working on improving our coop and run to at least keep the rats out of there. The rats pre-date the chickens, and my neighbor's outside cat doesn't seem to care, so it's mostly an issue of managing the problem, although I do have calls out to some exterminators to see if they have some options that won't put the girls, my dog, or wildlife at risk.

Anyway, the run is almost completely rat proof with 1/2" hardware cloth lining all of it (even completely covering the ground under it, since it's location didn't lend itself to aprons). The main challenge I have remaining is the gate. The run is a converted dog run with hardware cloth added and I'm just not sure how to fill the gap in hardware cloth where the gate handle is and still be able to work the latch (essentially the red box area in the picture).

Anyone have any ideas or words of experience to share??

PXL_20220316_001921658~2.jpg

Overlap hardware cloth below it (and possibly above it, depending on how "tight" you want protection) on both the gate and the fence, so that when it closes, there's 2 layers of HWC sandwiching over one another.

Hard to see in this photo I know, but you can kinda see a bit of the overlap to the left of the chicken at the gate, and at the bottom:
gate.jpg

Great feedback! Thank you for the picture too! Any additional thoughts on how do I do it so I can still lift/work the latch with my hand? Or do I need to replace the latch with something else to make this work?

Great feedback! Thank you for the picture too! Any additional thoughts on how do I do it so I can still lift/work the latch with my hand? Or do I need to replace the latch with something else to make this work?
You'll still be able to lift the latch, but you're going to have to leave enough of an opening there to compensate for the swing of it. Maybe you could drape a bit of netting over just the latch area so there's a little coverage, then lift it out of the way to open the gate.

Also goes without saying, but make sure that your hardware cloth is attached in a way as to allow for the gate to actually open. I have 3 gates in my run and all only open one way now due to the extra predator/pest proofing.

I have the exact same set-up, chainlink kennel panels covered in 1/2" hardware cloth. Like @rosemarythyme , I cut small hardware cloth patches to fit over and under the latch, leaving just enough room for the latch to open and close. But since that still leaves a small gap, in addition I added a hardware cloth "apron patch"' over the entire latch. That over-patch is attached by two zip ties to the chainlink/hardware cloth on each side of the latch.

I do have to snip off zipties on one side of the over-patch daily to open the gate and let the chickens out. But i purchase 8" zipties at Harbor Freight for $1.99 per 100ct package, and consider that a small price to pay for 100% complete coverage. Plus, if you attach and snip them with forethought, you can get more than one use out of each zip tie. I don't have a photo and it's dark now; hope my explanation made sense.

Back
Top Bottom